Votes: 2 3.8%
  • baby shampoo

Votes: 8 15.4%
  • other

Votes: 16 30.8%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Oh my, I seem to have done it again. I can't seem to get it right here.

Apologizes for any misunderstandings about the "good diver's learn how to hold their breath" comment. It was supposed to be a cutesy reference to the "Never hold your breath" dictum that had me in fear for my life puffing like a freight train up and down in the water column scaring away all the fish for my first few dives. I guess the cutesy didn't take.

What Watergal should have said is:
"Good respiration control is critical to becoming a good diver." I did not mean to suggest the airway should be closed and, do wholeheartedly agree that it should not. Ok guys? Can I come out of the corner now?

Walter, I don't know about guys' faces, but my legs burn if I shave them and hop into salt water. With a skin/wetsuit on I get a follicular rash. Wish I were brave enough to try not shaving for years, but I seem to be a pawn to society's conventions. (Foothills, that's enough laughter; you can stop now! Really. ).

Repentantly,

Hey, tips are great. I got on late and most of what I would have suggested has been listed. Along with putting your knife on the inside, get some electrical tape and tape up the buckles on your fins (assuming your fins have buckles). A lot of fins catch kelp in that area. If you are streamlined, the kelp will slide off your fins. If not, you will spend a lot of time rubber banding back and pulling kelp off of your fins (again, assuming you will dive in kelp).

Carry a spare facemask and regulator. Both seem to be the items people forget and/or break the most on my trips. DON’T rely on your dive buddies deco meter if yours is down or you don’t have one. You won’t believe how many new divers I have heard have done that! If you do, let me know how you like the inside of a chamber!

If you don’t feel good and/or comfortable with the dive or conditions, don’t be afraid to say NO to the dive.

Good diving and stay safe.

Lots of great tips.
I learned this one, after about 10 dives. I never knew why it worked until a recent trip this summer to Tortola when a Dr. on board told me. And to the Drs. out there (watergal) tell me if he was wrong..
Before every dive I put ear drops in my ears. Ever since I have been doing this I go down with zero problems on equalizing. I was told putting the alcohol in the ear drums, closes the ear drum slightly, and hence, less problems. I never use it after a dive, only before.
Don't know if it's true, but it works for me.
One more thing, I always carry enough Sweet Tarts for the whole boat. This brings me lots of new friends. And lots of funny faces.
:sunny:
PS I have been laughing and coughing underwater for 4 years without any water getting in. I must have an extra big mouth or something?

Reading these reminded me of two more (one almost the same as said above)

1) If you are not feeling good about everything (buddy, gear, dive profile, viz, gear, water temp, gear, wave/current, oh did I mention gear?) - Abort the dive! Little anxielties built up into big problems because you attention is split.

2) If you buddy aborts - don't ask why. It is considered rude. Accept it without questioning it.

I think it's time someone that cares told you the truth....You ARE weird.....heheh...but maybe I am too?=-)
All these suggestions make my water preparations seem infantile by comparison.I just get in my gear in a wetsuit that fits and get into the water....haha!
I guess the greatest piece of advice I could give you Chepar is to relax.Diving is fun and as a new diver you will still be worried about doing things right and in order.This is good,but soon it will become second nature to you and get easier.Buoyancy will come with practice but don't enter the water with any other expectation but to relax and enjoy yourself and know your limitations.BTW,I have replied to your NZ question.
Cheers Green behind the ears ears,
The Thunder from Down Under,
You know who,
The Gasman

This is all great advise, especially for us Newbies!

I think I have a suggestion that hasn't been mentioned...

Gear dries a whole lot faster in the presence of a dehumidifier.

Is there a downside to this I'm unaware of? We hung our suits in the basement with the dehumidifier, where it was fine for them to drip on the floor, at about 5:00 PM, and they were totally dry inside and out when we packed them up 12 hours later for the next trip.

Walter says
...."The way to distinguish fireants from other ants is to stand in the ant hill, allow them to bite. If you get pustules they are fireants"

Wow! PUSTULES...... is that the standard of practice to determine one ant species from another? If it is, I sure am happy I got my degree in physiology and not entomology!

How about if you just assume they are fireants and move on down the beach to the next vacant 6' by 8' section of sand?

I fell of my moutain bike into a hill of fireants and it's something I won't soon forget......just thinking about it I start scratching my legs raw. I would endure ice, sleet, cold, poor visiblility, poor equipment but I will not stand in a fireant hill to earn the right to dive-call me UnAmerican but it ain't worth it.

Walter, you have shown the utmost dedication to your sport-I salute you!!!!!

About those fireants.......
We have so many fireants here that every fall we have a Fireant Festival! We even have a fireant roundup and the person who catches the most fireants wins! You can't walk in the yard without seeing mounds. We live with them every day.

You can tell just by touching the mound with something. If they are fireants...they are immediately all over the place looking for something to attack. I don't mean just running around...I mean in a frenzy looking for YOU!!!

You'll know; believe me. Plus, fireants are the only insects that hang on and bite 100's of times. They love to just sit and chew. If you don't knock them off of you with something, they'll keep on chewing as long as they can.
:fire:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom