Votes: 2 3.8%
  • baby shampoo

Votes: 8 15.4%
  • other

Votes: 16 30.8%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Storing/Transporting gear
  • While mesh bags work great as lightweight transport between hotel room and dive boat, I have found a $30.00 plastic footlocker from The Container Store to be the best for storing everything between dives in one spot and transporting it for local dives. This footlocker also has wheels for easy transport through airports. Also:
    1. Pack you gear in the same space everytime. Helps you find things quickly and ensures that everything is there.
    2. Laminate your checklists and tape them to the inside of the lid
    3. Invest in an Amour Regulator bag ($15.00 @ Divers Direct. Helps keep everything nice and protects one of the more expensive of your diving investments
    4. Keep your eyes peeled for other small zippered bags or plastic organizers. Keeps the little things organized and not "sloshing" around in the footlocker.
    5. The meshbag will still fit in the bottom of the footlocker if you need it.
  • Always thoroughly wash and thoroughly dry your gear before packing it back into storage. Nothings worse than pulling out gear that has a funky odor (from mold/mildew)
  • Don't wad up your wetsuit. You can fold it, but do it gently and in long folds
Things to work on during your first 10-15 dives
  • Buoynacy - Kind of a no brainer, but this is where many new divers have lots of trouble. The best way is to dive as often as possible. But there are many things are key here including
    1. finding the right amount of lead
    2. getting used just how much air to add/dump depending on your depth
    3. getting comfortable with being underwater
  • Navigation - Compass mastery is always a good skill to have, especially when ranging beyond being able to visualize the downline. Simplest way to practice is to swim between surface markers by shooting a bearing and swimming that heading while minding your compass. Taking a navigation course is always a good idea.
  • Air consumption - This will get better with each dive, so dive as much as possible. You'll be amazed at how much additional time you will have logged after your 15th or 20th dive compared to your 5th. Also say as warm as possible, since being cold will cause you to consume more air (to support metabolism to keep you warm).
  • Mask Removal and Replacement -- It's inevitable that your mask will be kicked off of your face sometime. So use your safety stop time to practice replacing your mask.
  • Not stirring up the silt on the bottom -- Nothing kills a dive site faster than new divers kicking up the bottom and killing the visability.
After 10-15 dives, take the advanced o/w course. This will expand your skills set, and additional instruction is always a good thing.

And most importantly, dive every chance you get! This is once sport that gets easier with each dive. And getting your basic skills down cold will make learning the advanced diving (deep, specialty, technical, etc) much easier.

Anyone else got anything to add to all of this? If I think of others, I'll add to this.

No wonder I 've been getting these weird looks ever since I started diving.

I have been wearing the panty hose on the outside all these years!

Ya just never know

ID

Learn to organize your car/van/truck/SUV in advance to help make diving easier. I use a big plastic tub in my trunk. It came with a lid, which I place on the floor of the trunk next to the tub. The lid is the perfect size for 2 tanks to lay in. All the rest of my gear goes right in the tub after I dive.

Pack the car the night before if leaving first thing in the morning -- you'll be better organized, less rushed, and less likely to forget something.

When going to a sandy/muddy site, I always bring along a tarp (available for about $10 at Wal-Mart), that I can fold into any size I want -- good thing to have if you need to set-up gear on the water's edge to keep everything from getting messy.

Even better -- gear up at your car instead of hauling everything down to the water's edge (although sometimes this is unavoidable in a class, since the instructor wants to watch you and wants to see you help your buddy get geared up). I specifically drive our family minivan whenever I go diving, because I can set up my tank in the back with the hatch open, sit on the tailgate, and easily don my tank and BC while sitting down -- nice and relaxed.

Bring plenty of water and snacks. Drink on your way to the dive site and drink at the site. Hydration is key!

Bring sunscreen and hat if you're going to be outside all day.

Bring warm, comfy clothes for the surface intervals...things you don't mind getting a little wet.

Bring extra weights and if possible, make it easy to add weights. Nothing wastes more time on OW check-out dives than underweighted students. If you have extra weights, think about how you will add them -- weightbelts often take time to re-arrange. Perhaps BC weight pockets?

If you already own your gear or rent and can pick up before hand, practice setting things up the night before, especially if it has been a few weeks since your last classroom session. You'll feel more confident the next day.

Just a few random thoughts -- good luck with the dives!

Originally posted by Iguana Don

Ya just never know

ID

ID, It wasn't the pantyhose I hear. It was the neon pink Merry Widow and the matching Feather Boa....... :D

(personally, I found your ensemble quite fetching.....How does all those feathers affect your bouyancy? :D)

(jest pokeing a wee bit o'fun)

This is just a tropical thing (but remember it on your dive trips!) When you unpack your bag on the beach, and lay your booties down on the sand....make sure you aren't putting them right on top of a fire ant colony! Man...those things are NASTY!!!

I was going to pass along a few words of advice, but after the pantyhose "show" by ID, and OD's advice on feathers... I think I'll pass, just don't know how I can improve on it.

BTW - you can laugh u/w - my dive buddy should know this he's made laugh a number of times - just hold onto the reg or you will add water when you don't want too.

Pantyhose, mouthwash, toothpaste, talc (vs babypowder) are all hints I've been given.

Originally posted by Iguana Don

Ya just never know

ID

Iggy, I just wanna know....were your seams straight? :p

Scubabunny: In Texas (as I'm sure Mike will agree) we pay particular attention to the fireants, because they will steal your booties!!

I do public safety diving, and I carry a 5 gal garden sprayer that we use to wash down the gear after a dirty/muddy lake dive.

Originally posted by scubabunny
This is just a tropical thing (but remember it on your dive trips!) When you unpack your bag on the beach, and lay your booties down on the sand....make sure you aren't putting them right on top of a fire ant colony! Man...those things are NASTY!!!

Did it get you HOPPING? :bounce:

Don't count on anyone else remembering to bring the Oreos and M&M's

:thumb: That one needs a bigger vehicle as one's experience and adventure progresses for those local adventures and not so distant ones (ie a little compact works well for one, but a truck is a much better option). Besides, with a truck you can separate the wet gear from the riding compartment, saving on a future stench (see below).

That little particle board cover over the spare tire really picks up a ripe smell the more it gets dripped on (as do the seats). In hindsight, a rubbermaid-type tub would have been a good idea instead of the ol' dive bag.

If the hole is smaller than one's profile, don't bother; getting stuck really is not a good way to break into the sport. . . . . :rolleyes:

Doing two 70 for 30 dives on one 80 in cold water is not the best way to meet new people; they don't like being showed up by a new diver. :D

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom