Votes: 2 3.8%
  • baby shampoo

Votes: 8 15.4%
  • other

Votes: 16 30.8%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I have a MARES low profile 2-window mask that keep fogging in cold water. I have scrubbed the windows inside & outside with toothpaste and slate/mask cleaner and use SeaDrops Defogger on it and its still fogs. My dive buddy says its because its too low of a profile mask that sits too close to the eyes/face and that fact will make it fog in itself. He advised getting a larger 1 window mask or a 3 window mask.

Any thoughts? I like the LP masks as they clear easily and quickly.

After you've completed your post dive equipment rinse, let your mask dry completely.

Next, toss out the SeaDrops Defogger.

Now, apply one drop of full strength liquid soap (baby shampoo, dish soap, etc.) to each lens and rub it all over the inside of each lens.

Let it dry, overnight is fine, two weeks won't hurt.

Rinse it out just before you get in the water.

I was diving yesterday, I'm diving again on Saturday afternoon. My mask is drying right now. After work, I'll apply baby shampoo. Saturday afternoon, my mask won't fog.

As the lenses get more and more fine scratches on them, fogging can become more of an issue...the micro-scratches offer more sites for condensation droplets to form.

If it's been around a while, try a new mask. I just bought a LV Zeagle mask and it doesn't fog (at least in 57F water)...the old 4 window job was getting to be a fog machine.

Or try a different brand of defog...I use cheap shampoo mixed with rubbing alcohol...works well. Something called Never-Fog works too...not sure it's still made, tho..

I have had very good luck with the 500 psi blue gel defogger. It also was rated as one of the best by rodales. I read that even the smallest amount of dirt inside a lens can cause fogging so be sure there is no dust stuck in there.

One more thing to try, before you don the mask, splash your face with the cold water, this will bring down the temp of your face and help with fogging some.

Rachel

If you let too much air out of your nose your mask will fog and not seal well either.

Like Walter said, defog works best on a dry mask. If you don't have all night, even an hour to let the stuff sit helps. I find that keeping my mask wet between dives works. On one liveaboard I defoged my mask before the first dive and kept it wet between dives. I did not have to defog it again for the entire week.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom