Votes: 2 3.8%
  • baby shampoo

Votes: 8 15.4%
  • other

Votes: 16 30.8%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Finally I tried it and it worked.

Put a few drops on the glasses (inside and outside) and leave it to dry (I left it for two or three days). Then rinse it with towel and that's it.

My mask didn't fog for five days without any additional cleaning.

MonkSeal once bubbled...
Finally I tried it and it worked.

Put a few drops on the glasses (inside and outside) and leave it to dry (I left it for two or three days). Then rinse it with towel and that's it.

My mask didn't fog for five days without any additional cleaning.

Do you first rinse it with water then towel dry or just towel dry and not worry about rinsing with water?

I've never done any of these pre-dive fog-preventive measures you all mention here. On a typical warm water dive for me, when my mask fogs up, I usually just flood my mask. I just got used to the sting of the salt water in my eyes. I'm sure this is not good for the eyes.

Dan

From the skirt, silicone leeches onto the glass and causes the fogging, you need to clean the skirt too. On some masks there is enough silicone in the skirt that over the winter it leeches enough that in the spring it is just like a new mask.

DanBo once bubbled...
Do you first rinse it with water then towel dry or just towel dry and not worry about rinsing with water?
No, I don't wash it. When it's dry I just rinse it with towel.

On a typical warm water dive for me, when my mask fogs up, I usually just flood my mask.
It's not nice if you have to flood your mask when water is 6 C (43 F).

I'm sure this is not good for the eyes.
I don't think salt water can har your eyes.

I have a 50/50 solution of Johnsons baby shampoo and water in a squeeze bottle, I just squirt it on the inside of my mask when I'm kitting up and it never fogs.

When I forget the bottle I use plain old spit and invariable I end up letting water into my mask at depth to clear it.

If mask is new, severe cleaning is usually needed. I've used toothpaste and even the special cleaners. I rub way past what seems reasonable w/ my finger or a layer of tee shirt. The degree of cleanliness is key to controlling fog. As the other poster said, an abraided or scratched lens is much more prone to fogging. I usually use the 500psi stuff and try to keep my mask wet the entire day if I can. I do not feel I've "licked" the fogging problem--some days better than others.

I tried the 'dish soap' trick, 1 drop per lens and let it dry for a week before using - hen just rinsed the mask before the dive - didn't work - mask fogged as soon as I put it on my face.
Spit worked after that well though...

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom