The great big, all-inclusive Leisure Pro note

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I've used Leisure Pro on several occasions. I like to support my LDS whenever I can, but I often just can't afford that luxury.

The one time I had a problem with equipment from Leisure Pro was when I purchased two Genesis Sidekick In-Line secondary regulators. After little over a year, the casings on both units cracked in the same place.

I considered contacting Leisure Pro, but contacted Genesis first. They replaced both regulators with no questions asked.

I'd be very willing to pay more for equipment at my LDS, and I have on several occasions; however, it's difficult to resist the discounts available online.

EricJ:
I considered contacting Leisure Pro, but contacted Genesis first. They replaced both regulators with no questions asked.

I believe it is true that, while a mfgr may claim that they will not honor warranties unless purchased from "authorized dealer", there is still some legal requirement to honor warranties againt defects in materials and workmanship. So although you may not get much help from your local "authorized dealer", dealing directly with the mfgr may work out.

awap:
I believe it is true that, while a mfgr may claim that they will not honor warranties unless purchased from "authorized dealer", there is still some legal requirement to honor warranties againt defects in materials and workmanship. So although you may not get much help from your local "authorized dealer", dealing directly with the mfgr may work out.

HMmmm... not so. I bought a PC interface by Suunto from LP. It was, evidently, an older model, and when I got it, it wouldn't work. I contacted Suunto who told me that LP is not a dealer and that they did not know where they were getting the Suunto merchandise to sell. They would NOT warrant the product. I talked to one of Suunto's tech people, however, and he talked me through the software downloads that helped make it functional. Suunto was under no obligation to help, the techie just took pity on me.

Allison Finch:
HMmmm... not so. I bought a PC interface by Suunto from LP. It was, evidently, an older model, and when I got it, it wouldn't work. I contacted Suunto who told me that LP is not a dealer and that they did not know where they were getting the Suunto merchandise to sell. They would NOT warrant the product. I talked to one of Suunto's tech people, however, and he talked me through the software downloads that helped make it functional. Suunto was under no obligation to help, the techie just took pity on me.

I believe the catch is that it is not illegal for them to say that they will not honor it. But if it is indeed their new product, and it is defective in material or workmanship, some legal requirements take precedence. In your case, it apparently was not defective. It was simply an older model that required an update which they ultimately provided. Doesn't mean they have to be friendly or cooperative and can't give you a run around.

They have price and variety no LDS has. I've bought a lot of gear from them over the years and have no complaints. I've searched 3 or 4 local dive shops for an item to save time and ended up ordering it shipped from them when I couldn't find it locally. Their prices on gear are great.

We are seeing more and more customers calling us now saying that LP doesn't have stock - do we have this or that... It turns out the manufacturers have been working very hard at cutting off the gray market supply - so while they used to have pages of scuba pro stuff - now they don't have any BC's, and running out of some of the regs - down to under 1 page of scubapro gear. No Atmoic, Only 1 size and color of Zeagle Zena BC... etc.

Really when you look at some of the pricing... Like an Aeris Elite they show for 674.95 - but they do not have one in stock, and the tack on extra money in the shipping costs... And we sell the same unit, with a manufacturers warranty for $699 and actual shipping. Or an Aeris Atmos 2 where they are actually 20 higher than us, and then still upcharge the shipping costs.

Or in Henderson Hyperstretch... they are selling a suit for 230 which we sell for 244 - but ours includes wetsuit hanger, wetsuit shampoo, full manufacturers warranty, and free shipping.

The next year or so will be very interesting in this industry. In the last year, several manufacturers went under, Parkway, IDI and some others... Are more to follow?? None of the major manufacturers are attending DEMA this year... Scubapro, genesis, sherwood, akona, us divers/aqualung, seaquest, suunto, mares, dacor... all are dropping out of the Dema show. And I got a letter from one of them saying the money that running a booth at the show costs is a major investment, and they are instead going to put that money toward helping knock out gray market products since they feel that will have a more positive impact on the dive shops in the country, than the ability to visit them at a dive show.

It's not the good ole' days when you just hung out your dive flag and taught scuba - sold a few masks... today marketing, product lines, and all aspects of the business - have to be evaluated and re-evaluated every other day it seems! Oh well, that's what makes it fun!

Gonna post here because more folks are looking here! Leisure Pro Warranty is bad in my opinon. Suunto Cobra took a sh$t sent it to LP they said they sent it to Suunto for repairs this was May 24,2004. Bought another computer from Scuba Toys .com they rock period!!!!!!!!! Was going to Utila 10 days later! Went got back and no Cobra hell they said 2 to 4 weeks it has been months now. I will not use them again. I have sent two emails asking about my status of my computer and the last two have gone with out a responce. I am done with them! Unless fins or something simple had good results till a warranty claim came in and they can not do a warranty unless they give you a new item which is what I thought would happen and it did not.

domino22:
Gonna post here because more folks are looking here! Leisure Pro Warranty is bad in my opinon. Suunto Cobra took a sh$t sent it to LP they said they sent it to Suunto for repairs this was May 24,2004. Bought another computer from Scuba Toys .com they rock period!!!!!!!!! Was going to Utila 10 days later! Went got back and no Cobra hell they said 2 to 4 weeks it has been months now. I will not use them again. I have sent two emails asking about my status of my computer and the last two have gone with out a responce. I am done with them! Unless fins or something simple had good results till a warranty claim came in and they can not do a warranty unless they give you a new item which is what I thought would happen and it did not.

I'm wondering what you think a shop having a "normal" warranty would have done...

Exactly what date did you send it to LP. I'm curious.

Good luck!

scubasean:
I'm wondering what you think a shop having a "normal" warranty would have done...

Exactly what date did you send it to LP. I'm curious.

Good luck!

Just for contrast, I had a Sunnto Mosquito I bought from a local shop. It died after about 6 months. I took it back to the shop and they sent it in to Suunto for me. They got a replacement to me right away.

Score one for the local dive shop.

FWIW. I have a VT Pro. After about 4 months it took a crap on deco. I took it back to my local LDS and told Frank what was going on with it. He just went and got me a new one and said thank you for your business. Needless to say he will have all of mine now. For the little extra I paid the service is worth it.

Tom
K7TRM

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom