The French language can remain in Quebec?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Tomeck

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Quebec is the only area of America of North where the French language is official, but there is only six million against 300 million in America of North, the French language can it remain a long time with a strong pressure of the English language?

Considering that French has been spoken in Quebec since it was first "discovered" in 1534, and the number of French-speakers in that province has climbed continually, I doubt that French will disappear anytime soon.

Also, French is an official language of all of Canada. By law all government laws must be published in both English and French before they are considered laws, and all government services must be available in both official languages as well.

Outside of Quebec there are a lot of French-speaking people. New Brunswick (another Canadian province) is officially bilingual. Likewise, large French-speaking populations can be found in the provinces of Ontario and Manitoba. Even in the provinces without large French populations you'll find many bilingual individuals who can converse in both languages.

I, unfortunately, and not one of those.

Bryan

Just a few stats to add (from the 2006 Canadian census)

English 17,882,775
French 6,817,655
Non-official languages 6,147,840 (chinese being the 3rd biggest group)

this is based on mother tongue, not what is spoken in daily life nor bilingual folks....

Quebec is the only area of America of North where the French language is official, but there is only six million against 300 million in America of North, the French language can it remain a long time with a strong pressure of the English language?

we're not "against", just "beside" :wink:

what is "a long time"?

It wont dissappear for at least a few more generations. After that, who can tell?

I thought that many prefers English, because it is a language the most spoken about the world and much of non-English-speaking in the world understand, and it is easier to communicate, or they want to speak a local language so that the others do not understand like the dialect Texan?

I thought that many prefers English, because it is a language the most spoken about the world and much of non-English-speaking in the world

Depends on where you are in Quebec. In most major urban centers people use English or French. But its not uncommon to find purely French-speakers outside of major urban centers. The Qubequois are very proud of their language and culture, and go to great lengths to protect it.

Bryan

I studied French in high school and college, but the way things are going here in the states, I wish I had taken Spanish....the new USA language.

Depends on where you are in Quebec. In most major urban centers people use English or French. But its not uncommon to find purely French-speakers outside of major urban centers. The Qubequois are very proud of their language and culture, and go to great lengths to protect it.

Bryan

correct.

oddly, outside major urban centers, you can also find english-speaking communities where some people dont know 2 words in french.

being surrouded by an english majority does make us stay on the defensive side but people should understand that speaking a second or a third language will not be harmfull to your culture. On the contrary, being able to speak many languages is priceless.

Absolutely. Growing up I was pseudo-trilingual (English, and a child's understanding of German and Russian). I feel a sense of loss that I didn't keep up with the other two languages. As it stands I'm barely able to function in english...

Bryan

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom