The French language can remain in Quebec?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Quebec is the only area of America of North where the French language is official, but there is only six million against 300 million in America of North, the French language can it remain a long time with a strong pressure of the English language?
I believe that you are incorrect. New Brunswick is officially bilingual and both languages are widely spoken there.

More than a few years ago there was a court case in Manitoba where an individual successfully challenged a traffic ticket that was in English only. If you visit the St. Boniface part of Winnipeg you will also find that French is widely spoken.

When you speak about North America, do you include Mexico? If so, there are more people in Mexico City than in Canada and I would doubt that there are too many French speakers there. If you include only Canada and the United States of America then your numbers may be closer but that is like trying to compare France to Luxemborg.

I believe that you are incorrect. New Brunswick is officially bilingual and both languages are widely spoken there.

More than a few years ago there was a court case in Manitoba where an individual successfully challenged a traffic ticket that was in English only. If you visit the St. Boniface part of Winnipeg you will also find that French is widely spoken.

When you speak about North America, do you include Mexico? If so, there are more people in Mexico City than in Canada and I would doubt that there are too many French speakers there. If you include only Canada and the United States of America then your numbers may be closer but that is like trying to compare France to Luxemborg.
OK, I forgot New Brunswick. French is a official language in Luxemburg, but they speak a germanic dialect, very close to German, as common language and often read TV in German. OK, Mexico is in North America, but they need a visa to go in USA or in Canada.

In Switzerland, between Swiss German and Swiss French, they more often speak in English than German or French, even English is not a official language.

Tom...once again...

Quebec is the only area of America of North where the French language is official, but there is only six million against 300 million in America of North

Maybe should you consider Canada as a Country ? Not only a part of North America.

Do you know that in US many people think
that spanish will be the first language in few decades ?

Maybe should you consider Canada as a Country ? Not only a part of North America.
Yes.

Do you know that in US many people think
that spanish will be the first language in few decades ?
No, I don't think, because English is a international language and all are motivated, but French isn't.

Spanish was the first european language in 1/3 of what is now the area of the US. French was the first european language in 1/4 of what is now the area of the US. The eight Southwestern American states are de facto bilingual.

Yes we are ,,,,but only because english was mandated to be taught to all in the early 1940,s ...prior to that many of our people spoke only French

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom