The Fling cancels all(most) June trips to Flower Gardens

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I just had a look at the Fling calendar. I see 6 profitable trips for the rest of July and August, with 4 more possible break-evens. I have no idea what they canceled in June and July. If the Flower Gardens were profitable, I'd still be there. With the changes in the economy over the past 5 years, it just doesn't work.

When we bought out Gary Rinn, fuel was 60 cents a gallon. We fed the boat for $350 per trip. The only paid crew was the captains, everyone else worked for tips and diving. We'd get fussed at for canceling trips in 4-6 foot seas. Divers were tougher, younger, and willing to rough it.

When I saw ridership decline, I made changes to the Spree, which I did on the advice of my divers. Karl, I boosted the pressure of the HP banks and started free nitrox on your suggestion. I cut the number of divers based on many folks suggestion. When I cut the number of divers, it was obvious that the price would have to go up, but Gary, you told me one night that amenities didn't matter, the ride was the same, so you were switching to the Fling because they cost less. I devised an online booking system for those independent divers who didn't like going through a shop. All of those changes cost me money, as well as market share. All of the improvements we did to the Spree cost me money we never made back until we moved to Florida. I don't know why the Flower Gardens isn't as popular as it once was, I always thought it was due to..ahem..personalities on the Spree, but looking at the continued decline since I left, it wasn't me or Mel.

It's interesting. The Sanctuary was created by divers for divers. What will happen if dive boats don't go there anymore. If the economies of scale don't make it profitable, I wonder if a cheaper, leaner, really no-frills boat can turn a profit?

What I do know is that I've turned down enough business in Florida to make the Fling profitable if I had it here.

well, my concern is that the operators will cancel those 6 profitable and 4 break-even trips too ... in exchange for a full month of cleanup work, because they just don't care about being a 'dive boat' anymore. if that's the case, they should sell it to someone who does!

So, I just had 7 folks drop off my July 9, 10, 11 Dry Tortugas weekend citing concerns about the oil spill. The oil spill is not expected or predicted to impact the reef at Dry Tortugas due to changes in the loop current/gulf stream. Time for you folks worried about losing your dive boat to pony up to keep one in business. Todd, Karl, I'll expect to see your bookings later on today.

Frank, if I had the resources to just get out to where you are, I'd be up for filling one of those slots (that's pretty much the exact timing of the Fling trip that is likely to be cancelled). Alas, I do not, but rest assured that I hope to one day get to experience the DT's from the Spree. I look forward to it!
Thanks for your input into this thread and all you do "out there".
Bill

Frank, if I had the resources to just get out to where you are, I'd be up for filling one of those slots (that's pretty much the exact timing of the Fling trip that is likely to be cancelled). Alas, I do not, but rest assured that I hope to one day get to experience the DT's from the Spree. I look forward to it!
Thanks for your input into this thread and all you do "out there".
Bill

And Bill, please understand I am playing devil's advocate here. This spill will massively effect the rest of our lives. Losing a dive trip or even a boat/destination will all seem so silly next year.

Todd/Karl, please understand I am jacking you up publicly. It's too late to make plans for next month, and I understand that. The trip will still run, there just won't be anything put away for later...

well, my concern is that the operators will cancel those 6 profitable and 4 break-even trips too ... in exchange for a full month of cleanup work, because they just don't care about being a 'dive boat' anymore. if that's the case, they should sell it to someone who does!

rakpix, the owners of the spree and fling have given us numerous years of GREAT diving trips out to the FG. They have shown how much they do care.
IMHO, if you have never been on their charters in the past and do not know how much work they have done working with the scientific teams to help preserve the FG, you are not in a position to state that the owners should sell it to someone who cares.

So, I just had 7 folks drop off my July 9, 10, 11 Dry Tortugas weekend citing concerns about the oil spill. The oil spill is not expected or predicted to impact the reef at Dry Tortugas due to changes in the loop current/gulf stream. Time for you folks worried about losing your dive boat to pony up to keep one in business. Todd, Karl, I'll expect to see your bookings later on today.

I've said it before, and I will say it again: I suggest a new strategy; let the Wookie win!

With the recent news in the spill, I wonder if it's inevitable that the rest of the Fling summer trips will be cancelled? Personally I don't blame them at all for taking the work in the oil spill; in fact seeing as how the health of the gulf is crucial to their business, I am certain that they have a vested interest in helping with the clean up. Granted, they're getting paid well I'm sure, but I bet there's more to the decision than simply that. At least I would like to think so.

However, if in fact the spill does reach the FGB later in the summer, I hope that we haven't lost the chance to dive the FGB before it gets destroyed or seriously damaged by this disaster.

Frank I'd be interested to know if you've been approached about working the clean up like the Fling. If you've already posted that info, I missed it.

Frank I'd be interested to know if you've been approached about working the clean up like the Fling. If you've already posted that info, I missed it.

Based on post #10, I concluded that Frank was asked but decided to stay with his dive business. I see it as the difference between a long term and a short term business outlook.

I get three phone calls per day to go to the Spill, from various contractors. Mel and I chose to honor our commitment to divers, although we have made a different choice in the past, so I fully understand where the Fling is coming from.

It is interesting watching this thread. As I said this morning, we had a shop drop a bunch of spots this morning for a July trip. We are supporting divers by continuing to offer trips right up until NOAA, USCG, or NPS closes our areas to diving. Divers are not honoring their reservations. Makes this whole thread a little one sided.

Carrie, I appreciate your sentiments, though I understand other divers' frustrations. This would have been my fifth DUOY trip (educators cruise, sponsored by the Gulf of Mexico Foundation, FGBNMS, and other benefactors), and I've made other trips out on the Fling on my own and with other groups. I can honestly say that I've been impressed with the crew of the Fling for their honest, sincere consideration, professionalism and dedication. Over the last decade or so, I've been an unabashed cheerleader for the FG, and I've promoted its attributes in a large number of venues, including many Conferences for the Advancement of Science Teaching, the National Science Teachers Association convention, regional education service center workshops, diving trade shows, meetings of dive clubs, Boy Scouts, church groups, the classroom and generally anywhere someone would listen. I've had some truly life changing experiences out there in the FG, and through it all whether it be tragedy or triumph, the folks aboard the Fling were nothing less than magnificent. In addition, they (and Captains Frank and Melanie, when they are in the FG) have been the FGBNMS's eyes and ears in the sanctuary, keeping a close watch for illegal activity and generally being good stewards over this unique site. We owe them, regardless of what motivated their current decisions. As disappointed as I am about this summer and its potential results, I can't bring myself to say a negative word about these folks. God bless 'em, and may the Lord protect the areas upon which they depend for their way of life.

Last edited:
https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom