The Diver's Ear: Under Pressure - UPDATE re Helpful Video

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

CompuDude

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Just an update:

The UWTV video entitled "The Diver's Ear: Under Pressure" was pulled from the UWTV site a couple of months ago. Many of you have seen and learned from the excellent video over the years.

I have been in contact with Julianne Collier, the show's executive producer, and Jo Ann Watson, the person in charge of programming over there, and convinced them of the need to make the video available again. They graciously agreed, and the video's new location is here:

The Diver's Ear: Under Pressure

Enjoy!

There is a good chance they will be getting it posted to Dr. Kay's website as well, in the not-too-distant future. Updates are pending.

Anyone having difficulties clearing/equalizing their ears, or simply wanting to learn more options, should watch this video. It's 55 min long and worth every moment.

Hi CompuDude,

I agree - it's an excellent video.

I was very disappointed when I noticed it had been taken down and appreciate your getting it restored.

Thanks,

DocVikingo

Should be required for any OW student. It helped my home town bud who has always had problems equalizing. Thanks for taking care of this after the one linked on my old thread went dead.

Thanks for the posting. I did my first OW dive this weekend and when I came up out of the water my ear had that full feeling, like water was inside so that's when my instructor told me I didn't equalize properly. I haven't watched the video yet but it's the first thing on my list when I get home from work. Thanks again.

would someone else try to access the link, Please? I have tried 5 or 6 times, and my wife has tried 2 times on her computer. NO JOY for either of us.

Thanks
jeff

would someone else try to access the link, Please? I have tried 5 or 6 times, and my wife has tried 2 times on her computer. NO JOY for either of us.

Thanks
jeff
I noticed that it wouldn't play on my Firefox browser, but would on Explorer. And it seems to play on VLC player, which not everyone has. I'll see if I can get the OP to clarify the best way view this and get a Mod to edit post 1...?

To open in Explorer, copy and paste [url=

http://www.researchchannel.org/asx/uw_hu_div_250k.asx

]Healthy-U[/url]

Plays fine in my FireFox browser... I clicked the link, which opened another window (could a popup blocker be the problem?), which spawned Windows Media Player. I'll try it on my Mac to see if there is a difference there (although I agree VLC may be the best bet for Macs if it doesn't just work, since the producers have not chosen a very platform-neutral distribution format and we have no control over that).

The link is back up on Dr. Kay's website as well (see first post), but it behaves the same way there, and points to the same location.

I'd ask myself, but since you've already been in contact with them, would you happen to have asked about the possibility of getting a recorded (tape or DVD) copy of the video? I would very much like to be able to make it available to the divers at my LDS, but transcoding the video to DVD gives you a result that looks rather... ugly.

I wonder if there's any chance we could get a pristine copy and acquire a license to copy it for educational use in dive instruction environments.

Not a bad thought... I'll drop a line to Dr. Kay and to the producers and see if that's possible.

I will note that I mentioned the same option a number of times when I was first inquiring about getting the video re-posted, and no matter how many times I hinted they never discussed the option... perhaps pointedly ignoring the request.

I downloaded the streaming version to my hard drive this time, however, just in case it ever disappears again, although, as you note, the quality certainly could be better.

Incidentally, I'm posting this from my PowerBook G4, and the video works just fine in the latest FireFox. I do have VLC installed, but it seems to be playing in a browser window with what looks like QuickTime controls, so if I had to guess I'd say it's playing via Flip4Mac's WMV Components for QuickTime, and not VLC. In sum, while I have not yet tried it in Safari, it seems to play just fine on a Mac, also.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom