Ear Equalizing Video from Univ of Washington, Really a must-see for any newbie

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

when i first started diving i had a lot of trouble equalizing by just holding my nose and blowing, which was the main method i was taught, but i learned a few techniques from this video that we didnt even go over in my open water class which really helped me alot. i recommend it to anyone, especially newbies or anyone have trouble equalizing.

Ya, that video was a HUGE help for me. Now I use one of those alternative techniques all the time and it works every single time.

What a great video! As Dr. Kay mentions in the video, check out his webpage at:

http://faculty.washington.edu/ekay/

There are quite a few good articles that you can share with other divers. I am getting ready for my upcoming DM training, so this is very much appreciated.

Thanks for sharing DandyDon.

Arizona

Don,

Thanks for posting this.
I am not arround as much as I was in the past so don't push this web site and video much these days.

It is very good information and in a form that is easy to understand.

It is good for everyone to review now and then.

The pictures and video really help people who learn more visually and really drive home the point of how and why.

thanks again

pipedope:
Don,

Thanks for posting this.
I am not arround as much as I was in the past so don't push this web site and video much these days.

It is very good information and in a form that is easy to understand.

It is good for everyone to review now and then.

The pictures and video really help people who learn more visually and really drive home the point of how and why.

thanks again
Thanks for putting me onto it. You'll noticed I mentioned you in post 1 :D

Thanks for bumping and thanks to the OP.
Good information and techniques I will try on my next dive, as a new diver.
I especially want to try equalizing starting at the surface, instead of waiting until you start to feel the squeeze.

Deserves a bump..
:lol2: Did you get help from this, or wish you'd seen it sooner?
Thanks for bumping and thanks to the OP.
Good information and techniques I will try on my next dive, as a new diver.
I especially want to try equalizing starting at the surface, instead of waiting until you start to feel the squeeze.
My home dive buddy has always had problems equalizing, and since I never have - it can be frustrating to both of us waiting on him. But you gotta get it done. I help remind him to take his allergies meds (a whole different discussion) the day before and start equalizing the day before as well, more that morning and more while we're gearing up. Still this vid has really made a difference for him...!!

I got him to check with his physician on how to clearn ears with irrigation the day before, and we also stop at 15-20 ft on every dive to do a buddy bubble check and air valve all the way open - not 1/4 turn, which gives him more time to clear. I like to drop fast, but don't want to leave or rush my bud. :crafty:

I started on ScubaBoard with an ear irritation from OW checkout dives. That video was the end of any ear difficulties. I had misunderstood "equalize early and often" to mean as soon as you feel the squeeze. Dr. Kay emphasizes pressurize prior to the start of descent and stay ahead of the squeeze, which makes all the difference in the world. Much easier to pressurize than equalize. It's been smooth sailing with the ears ever since.

Wish I'd known about this when diving for quarters in the deep end of the pool when I was a kid.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom