The curious case of AI. Do you use a back up SPG while using AI?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I have thought about the same thing and my answer was different from yours. I see the biggest difference is the battery. Although the SPG has a lifespan, it is nowhere as short as that of the battery. Yes, I can abort a dive if battery fails, but having an spg next to my inflator saves that dive, why not have it there? So, I have not removed my SPG from the kit. I have since changed to a new computer and transmitter and looking at battery life monitoring. Maybe this will change. My last computer did not show the transmitter battery status, so failure or premature replacement was the only options. I had a good battery replacement process, but one battery did not last like the others. SPG allowed us to continue the dive and replace battery at SI.

Very valid point. I replace my transmitter and computer batteries well before their intended lifespan. But that is still a risk I am taking. You've decided differently based upon what is most important to you. I think we are both right. :)

Confession, I havent read any of the 6 pages of posts. My .02 cents. Everything fails sooner or later. I find it much easier (cheaper) finding replacement SPG gauges and hoses, than I believe it would be for AI parts, especially if it happens just before I'm about to go diving. Which is when everything fails!

If I'm traveling I always travel with one extra HP hose and an extra SPG. And I also always have a couple of spools ready to go (which is what normally leaks anyway).

Confession, I havent read any of the 6 pages of posts. My .02 cents. Everything fails sooner or later. I find it much easier (cheaper) finding replacement SPG gauges and hoses, than I believe it would be for AI parts, especially if it happens just before I'm about to go diving. Which is when everything fails!

If I'm traveling I always travel with one extra HP hose and an extra SPG. And I also always have a couple of spools ready to go (which is what normally leaks anyway).

I travel with 3 transmitters. One on my primary reg set, one on my secondary reg set, and one on my pony. I can easily swap them if there is a failure. Just another way to skin that cat.

I travel with 3 transmitters. One on my primary reg set, one on my secondary reg set, and one on my pony. I can easily swap them if there is a failure. Just another way to skin that cat.
Your post got me thinking. I have a spare transmitter sitting in a drawer in Florida. I have not taken it with me of dive trips or on liveaboards, in the future, I will. I have switched to it twice while diving at home in Florida.

The post I made earlier about my transmitter failure in Belize is the only time a spare transmitter would have done me good. My wife and I have a 2 week trip to Bonaire lined up and, so far, I will be going back to the Revillagigedos in 2024 and back to Malpelo in 2025, my spare transmitter will be going with me.

That doesn't mean my trusty SPG clipped to my left chest D-ring is going away :) Yes, I carry a couple of spools too.

Great idea. But what does an average transmitter cost?

And yes, Tech/Cave is an expensive sport to begin with.....

Great idea. But what does an average transmitter cost?

And yes, Tech/Cave is an expensive sport to begin with.....
Not sure if it's appropriate to post here, but I will post properly in Classfieds my nearly new Shearwater transmitter as soon as I can get off my butt to take some pictures. One freshwater and one saltwater dive, with all packaging and accessories. $325 shipped.

Only reason I'm selling is because I was given bad advice by my tech instructor that I need 2 transmitters to dive linked doubles. I was disabused of that notion on this forum.

Your post got me thinking. I have a spare transmitter sitting in a drawer in Florida. I have not taken it with me of dive trips or on liveaboards, in the future, I will. I have switched to it twice while diving at home in Florida.
I always carry a spare. I've never used it, but I have loaned it to people on a dive trip.

I have thought about the same thing and my answer was different from yours. I see the biggest difference is the battery. Although the SPG has a lifespan, it is nowhere as short as that of the battery. Yes, I can abort a dive if battery fails, but having an spg next to my inflator saves that dive, why not have it there? So, I have not removed my SPG from the kit. I have since changed to a new computer and transmitter and looking at battery life monitoring. Maybe this will change. My last computer did not show the transmitter battery status, so failure or premature replacement was the only options. I had a good battery replacement process, but one battery did not last like the others. SPG allowed us to continue the dive and replace battery at SI.
Same, I see so many people stressing about depressuring their regs to get the transmitter to shut off or not turning them on until the last minute etc. As an SPG user it's not something I stress about and my gear is often pressurized for hours before I actually splash (or after).

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom