The continuing sagas of the Blue Heron Bridge

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Noticed that most all of the sponges he usually hangs on are now missing. :depressed:

Kevin

Our collectors at work I suppose. :depressed:

God knows catching a sponge is a challenge worthy of a hunter.

Great pics guys.

Thanks to all.

Nice Lancer Dragonette.

Thank you. And *now* I know what a Lancer Dragonet is. :D

Saw the cutest little two inch long sea robin come out from under one of the urchins on Friday, but the +7 diopters killed my chances of getting a shot of him. And, he spread wings real pretty for me, too. An additional problem with this diopter thing is that by the time I give up trying to find the subjects in the viewfinder, I often can't figure out where they snuck off to. The first little false ciliated squillid (is that a real name??) was an exception as he constantly flitted about at a high enough rate of speed that he would catch my eye in my peripheral vision, over and over and over. And, the few times that he seemed to hide, he would soon reappear. It reminded me of at hunting, sharptail eel. Managed to get one of them to finally pose for a +6 shot yesterday.

Also ran into my little yellow headed buddy yesterday, after not seeing him on the last few trips. He was back in the same area yesterday. He's also not a fan of diopter distance. . .

Kevin

Attachments

• IMG_9421wa.jpg
    IMG_9421wa.jpg
    78 KB · Views: 38
  • IMG_9460wa.jpg
    IMG_9460wa.jpg
    69.6 KB · Views: 48
Last edited:
Our collectors at work I suppose. :depressed:

God knows catching a sponge is a challenge worthy of a hunter.

As I saw one of them (red sponge ball) on the bottom on my previous trip, I'm afraid it's more likely that photographers are getting manhandled by the current/surge while trying to photograph the horsie.

Which reminds me, I've twice seen something suddenly suck back away out of sight right in that same bottom area where the sponge ball lay. It was very light in color, but probably twice as thick as a sharptail eel. My sense was that it *was* probably tubular shaped. . . I've seen spotted morays in that area several times, too, but my sense was that this wasn't one of those. I hope I don't have bad dreams. :D

Kevin

Attachments

• IMG_9432wa.jpg
    IMG_9432wa.jpg
    95.9 KB · Views: 62
Dive report from today. 2 hrs, 23 min bottom time. I had 79 for a temp - still in my 5mm and at first I thought I was going to be too warm but got distracted and forgot about the bath water. Viz maybe 15-20 ft with bright sunshine. Nice conditions with very few divers. I did not have a chance to check on Baby Daddy - too distracted with everything else.

My intel did not fail. I found "Puff" early on in the area I planned to look. I spent a good hour with him, even shot a little video which I will post as soon as I've uploaded to YouTube. He was big - 7-8" and very active. Two divers approached, I saw they were photographers so finally left him in the capable lenses of two fancy cameras.
View attachment 92666

Lots of cute juvenile sea robins, about the size of my pinkie.
View attachment 92667

And octopi abound. This was the most cooperative of the bunch.
View attachment 92668

Before I went to Phil Foster Park I swung by the Admiral's Club to donate a few door prizes for this weekend's open house. It's a really nice place! If anyone is interested in details feel free to PM me.

Nice shots!

Cool! It's harder to stuff them octo's back in the bottles than you think. You reckon there'll be a constant stream of new seahorses?? Oh, and thanks for rubbing in the little sea robin. . . :D

We also stopped by while down this weekend and met the Admiral. :D BTW, the first door you come to is *not* the office.:shakehead: (Sorry, Suzie) :D Looks like a *very* handy spot.

Kevin

Dive report from today. 2 hrs, 23 min bottom time. I had 79 for a temp - still in my 5mm and at first I thought I was going to be too warm but got distracted and forgot about the bath water. Viz maybe 15-20 ft with bright sunshine. Nice conditions with very few divers. I did not have a chance to check on Baby Daddy - too distracted with everything else.

My intel did not fail. I found "Puff" early on in the area I planned to look. I spent a good hour with him, even shot a little video which I will post as soon as I've uploaded to YouTube. He was big - 7-8" and very active. Two divers approached, I saw they were photographers so finally left him in the capable lenses of two fancy cameras.
View attachment 92666

Lots of cute juvenile sea robins, about the size of my pinkie.
View attachment 92667

And octopi abound. This was the most cooperative of the bunch.
View attachment 92668

Before I went to Phil Foster Park I swung by the Admiral's Club to donate a few door prizes for this weekend's open house. It's a really nice place! If anyone is interested in details feel free to PM me.

Then, just a couple of minutes after giving up on the first one, the next urchin that I turned over yielded another, larger one, holding an armful of eggs, in the same manner as the one from a few weeks ago held his gob of sand. Apparently, having to use up a bunch of those legs for holding the eggs, this slightly larger one (inch and a quarter?) occasionally stopped long enough to give me *some* chance of composing and focusing.

Kevin

Well, I *meant* to include a shot of the egg bearer. . . This computering stuff is just a little too hard for me.

Kevin

Attachments

• IMG_9295wa.jpg
    IMG_9295wa.jpg
    115.4 KB · Views: 54
  • IMG_9298wa.jpg
    IMG_9298wa.jpg
    130.3 KB · Views: 57
  • IMG_9300wa.jpg
    IMG_9300wa.jpg
    100.9 KB · Views: 47
wow, very nice shots from Jet, Cooltech, Ben and Mntlblok over the past couple of days!!!

Cooltech: thanks for id'ing the sea hare. I only have the reef fish book and will pick up the reef creature book soon. The darn thing was so graceful that I assumed it was a fish..... I though sea hares swimming looked less coordinated so I had discounted my first thought as to it identity

I still can't tell whether things are fighting or doing that other thing down there.

Kevin

Attachments

• IMG_9452wa.jpg
    IMG_9452wa.jpg
    84.1 KB · Views: 57
  • IMG_9448wa.jpg
    IMG_9448wa.jpg
    81.6 KB · Views: 43
  • IMG_9443wa.jpg
    IMG_9443wa.jpg
    68.3 KB · Views: 40
Last edited: