The continuing sagas of the Blue Heron Bridge

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Dove the bridge tonight. 82° water, 30ft+ vis.

BIG green moray at the rockpile under the fishing bridge
This is great news. When I dove on Sunday viz was 10 ft. Hopefully we will get 30ft+ this week-end

fish212.jpg

Ben
Great shot of this juvenile spanish hogfish & that yellow jawfish is so cute
Deb

Dive Log. 6/11/10. Blue Heron Bridge High Tide 8:40pm.

By 8pm we are anchored at the bridge and giant stride into the water. It is still dusk and at first we don't even need our lights. Two horseshoe crabs, one piggy-backing the other, glide by. They are the size of my outstretched hand.

We head towards the pilings underneath the bridge and begin exploring. The ocean is alive with crabs, red & white banded shrimp and sea stars. I see a little sea snake and an octopus. A huge barracuda silently drifts by - his silvery body shimmering in our lights. Sleeping fish are tucked in corners beside the rock piles and between the pilings. Something light colored catches my attention: a northern stargazer. I waive to get everyone's attention. Cool! He stares up, daring us to touch him. We know better.

My buddy is holding something. He has picked up a puffer fish and it has puffed into a huge spiny ball. Poor thing - it is so stressed. I see another octopus and another! and another! By the end of the dive I have counted nine. They move sprawl-legged across the ocean floor to their little shell piles and disappear inside. Once they are gone you would never know they are there. Spotted eels poke their heads out of crevices in the rocks.

We see a spotted ray and more horseshoe crabs - some as big as hub caps. They are surreal. So prehistoric. So huge. How can that even be a living creature?!?

It is difficult to manage buoyancy in the shallow water. I tuck anything dangling inside my BC or hug it close to my body. I see other divers dragging their fins and gear across the bottom, kicking up sediment. They pick up animals or poke at them. I am such a snob. In the dark they do not see my disapproval.

More octopus, more eels, another spotted ray, the biggest horseshoe crab ever. This one has got to be a mutant. Someone is waiving their light: a batfish. He sits like a little statue as we gather around and stare.

We swim to the mooring lines, a little away from the bridge pilings. There is a large metal box of some kind totally encrusted with growth. We spy a yellow seahorse.

I'm exhausted and check my computer. We have been down for 86 minutes. I still have 1200 psi. But the tide has turned and the current is making it difficult to continue. We surface and head back to the boat.

Wonderful trip report!!! And I agree with you, divers should not harass the critters.

The diving was great again this morning. 82 deg, 30-40 ft vis in front of the beach and a little less under the bridge. Lots of divers but everyone was spread out nicely. Very fishy, probably because of all the baitfish in the area.

poor pufferfish... that's horrible.
Nice report otherwise...

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom