The Buddy system and separation problems

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Paulb2

Registered
Reaction score
Dear Divers

I am a trained industrial designer who has recently qualified as a PADI open water diver. I have had little experience in diving, however, in the past year as part of my work I have been involved in a research program with the aim of identifying the main causes of scuba diving accidents, buddy separation being one of them.

Through this research it has come to my attention the contradiction between buddy diving theory taught on dive courses and reality. A divers actions and mental attention during a dive include their desire to explore, relax and take in the surrounding environment often results in failure of the buddy system.
This contradiction forces a diver to choose between, on one hand safety and restrictions whilst on the other freedom to spontaneously explore and follow their own interests (key motives for diving in the first place). The latter option often results in separation both mentally and physically with both buddy divers involved in their own personal experiences.
A quote from the article Finned shark found off Florida (Sportdiver, March 2002) demonstrates the contradictory messages between dive theory and practice and the desire for many divers to take risks (although not always perceived) to get the most out of their own diving experiences.

“In my lazy meanderings, I had allowed the rest of the team to get a little way ahead of me” – This is a good example to highlight a more common problem but there is no implied criticism of this particular individual

Why did his buddy diver allow him to separate? Why after knowing the dangers of separating from a buddy diver would a diver choose to drift away? Are both divers happy to separate? Do other buddy couples feel they should look out for solo divers effectively forming a three-diver buddy system? In line with the research findings, this shows how the more experienced divers are the more likely they are to deliberately drift apart to do their own thing. Although it is also important to point out that in many situations separation isn’t intentional.

This raises some important questions with regard to future scuba diving training. For example how can dive training take account of the realities of dive practice by understanding how divers think and where they focus their attention? How could buddy divers be encouraged to stay close together? How can divers keep track of their buddy while still getting full enjoyment out of their dive?
Until this contradiction between safety and diver aspirations is resolved separation and accidents will continue to occur because the reasons and practice of diving often contradict the safety practices of scuba training.

The purpose for presenting these findings is to allow other divers to share their own views and experience of separation to help inform the research further.

Best wishes

Paul Banks

We must more narrowly define our terms here to come up with any really useful conclusions. If by "separate" you mean to get more than some specific distance apart, then the relative risk will vary with the conditions. If by "separate" you mean to exceed a certain level of risk, then the distance will vary with the conditions.
Let me use two extremes to illustrate my point. There is greater risk in a silted out cave at a depth of 100 feet with the buddy team in actual contact with each other than there is on a crystal clear, calm tropical reef at a depth of 20 feet with the buddies a hundred yards apart. And for conditions in between, the distances and risks are in between.
So, in the case you cited, without depth, visibility, temperature, current and other conditions known, we can't know the level of risk the diver achieved by separation from the group. It may have been great, but was more likely inconsequential.
Bottom line - you've tackled an interesting subject; good luck!
Rick

YUP good luck!
says it all i am a solo diver even with a buddie
reason being most times the attion of a buddie is somewhere else and with in 10 minutes you are seperated anyway .
i know it probbly isnt the best way to look at it but it does depend on allot of different factors indeed !
:) good luck and happy bubble making!

Paul, I am sure in your research that you have uncovered more buddy seperation problems than togetherness. There has been on occasion that my normal dive buddy and I have become seperated. We do as we were taught during our OW training. When you get seperated you do the quick search then surface. This has always worked for us and have not had any problems. But to be honest, this does not happen too often. My normal buddy and I have the same interest so we therefore are in a very close proximity to each other with me shooting pictures and her watching out for things to take pics of.

If, as Rick has mentioned, conditions dictate we stay in contact then we do. Our enjoyment of the underwater world is no diff in any case. The thrill of getting wet is all we are after. No stress.

but have that there are some people that make good buddies and some that don't. Two people I dove with last year made me realize that dive with someone else can be just as enjoyable as solo diving. Previous experiences with buddies led me to believe I migght as well dive solo for all the good a buddy was due to seperation problems. I hope I get the privelge of diving with these two people again this year.

Simple answer:
1. Correct training
2. Team concept
3. Proper equipment
4. Skill
5. Passive communication

I will just treat these briefly and in general terms.

Shane and I have been trained to work as a team. Our equipment could easily support either of us as an independant solo diver but we use it for mutual redundancy. We are skilled in finning techniques so as not to blow out the bottom and destroy visibility. We are in constant passive communication through the use of our HID light beams.

I would like to add more about #5.

The use of passive communication has eliminated the most frustrating (for me) aspect of buddy diving... keeping track of the other person while still enjoying the dive. The use of HID lights has allow us to dive as a team even when seperated by modest distance and each actively paying attention to different things. We are able to glance at our partner's beam and ascertain position and disposition. Should we desire a more positive check on conditions we can *paint* a circle with our light beam around the other's beam and it will be answered in kind. Should we desire the others attention we will draw a figure 8. Should we have an emergency (OOA) we vigorously wave the light back and forth in the direction of our partner... who will swim in our direction with donated regulator extended should that be the need.

Please pardon in spelling or grammer mistakes in this post.

For my deeper dives, maintaining the buddy team is rule number one throughout the dive. There is more emphasis placed on this rule than all the other rules combined (OK, maybe I'm slightly exagerating :rolleyes: ). This particular issue is one of the reasons I am quite particular in who I dive with on advanced dives.
I view my buddy as my life-line and my responsibility on the advanced dives, and vice versa. This disciplined approach to diving carries over to the recreational dives I do as a matter of habit. Rick does, however, raise an interesting point that can confuse the issue a bit -- what is too far away and under what circumstances?
Like so many things, I just don't think buddy skills are emphasized stringently enough from day one and drilled to the point of habit. There's just not enough time in such short classes to do so, as with so many other important diving skills.

Good luck.

Mike

I had a interesting thought about "solo diving" and proper
"buddy diving"..

say you are typical recreational diver and your designated buddy are at 60fsw and your first stage locks up, under the ideal situation you turn and signal your buddy and get the safe second/OCTO and slowly assend and end the dive. In Real life you are behind your buddy and since he isn't paying attention you
are now a solo diver and more than likely screwed..

This is why I think there is a growing division between the Rec. divers and the Tech. divers, and that division is REDUNDANCY.

I was taught in my Rec class in essance your buddy is your back up, well my buddy is not always going to be there and will change time from time and well practically every dive, so to be safe I need to protect myself, so when I am in a non Ideal situation I will have a greater margin of safety.

Originally posted by Lost Yooper
Like so many things, I just don't think buddy skills are emphasized stringently enough from day one and drilled to the point of habit. There's just not enough time in such short classes to do so, as with so many other important diving skills.

This is unfortunately absolutely true. I do believe however that the inherent dangers of scuba diving are emphasized extensively during OW training, and it is up to the individual to take those warnings seriously. You can lead a horse to water......well you know the rest!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom