The Buddy system and separation problems

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Going back to your thread starter.
I dive in low viz conditions 6-8 ft is the norm. A moments inattention by either party and we can loose sight of one another effectively ending the dive. I rarely dive with the same buddy, I don't normally choose who I dive with, but their experience can range from trainee to senior instructor. I am not keen on the idea of a buddy tether. Torches are carried but darkness is not an issue because the beam will not penetrate far as the light is blocked by the sediment in the water. With a novice we check air aprox 5min intervals. Neither of us is likely to want to spend the whole dive closely observing the other. It is obvious we must develop a practice were we each systematically visually check for our buddy. Does anyone incorporate a check system into the breathing cycle?

Back
Top Bottom