The Boynton Dive Chronicles (new and improved)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Nice pix Anna.

So you bought a dive shop, eh Kevin? Congratulations (I think)!

Congrats Kevin. Ron and I thought that was a great shop and are very glad you are the proud new owner. We'll try to plan a trip to Fla next year and hope to dive with you again.

Along with my wife and two sons, and two other divers (Rick and Patrick) I went out on the Explorer this morning. Had a problem with my camera's battery charger last night, so no pictures from me this time around. On our way down to Boynton, we noted that the big dive flag at Diver's Direct was hanging like a limp noodle - always a good sign!

Seas were as flat as you'd expect, vis wasn't exceptional, but was far from poor - a little green water on top and some particulate at depth, but quite do-able. According to my computer, temp at depth was 84.

The first drop was on Gazebo. Unfortunately, my auto inflator was frre flowing, and by the time I figured out why I was having so much trouble getting and staying neutral I had blown through most of my air. We did see a bunch of lobsters enjoying the final weeks of their out of season status, some huge (Cozumel huge) angels of several varieties, and just as I was starting my ascent, Kevin pointed out a couple of nice sized nurse sharks. Apparently the rest of the group saw a couple more of those, as well as a turtle, some eels and squid, but thankfully, no whale sharks or Loch Ness monsters.

Second drop was at Tabletops. During the interval Kevin had fixed my inflator hose/connection, so I was able to get a full dive in this time. Patrick saw what he thinks was a bull shark, but it was just beyond our view by the time he got everyone else's attention. Didn't see as many big animals on this dive, but tons of medium and small critters.

As always, the service provided by Kevin and Alex was top notch, and the company on the boat made for great before, between, and after dive conversation.

I certainly hope we can get back down there soon!

Wow! Congratulations on the dive shop, Kev and company! :)

Since this is primarily a pics thread, here are my contributions from last month:

turtle-reef-2.jpg

batfish.jpg

eel-b_w.jpg

turtle-sand.jpg

angelfish-profile.jpg

cowfish-coral.jpg

kev.jpg

Great shots.

Beautiful, may I ask what camera system you used?

Great shots.
Hey, coming from you, that's quite the compliment! I've been admiring your work for quite a while. :) If you're looking for a buddy for the BHB next time I'm in FL, don't be shy... :wink:

Beautiful, may I ask what camera system you used?
Thank you! Not much of a system at the moment... I have a Canon A720 and most likely used the Canon housing for the above pics since I lost the diffuser for my Ikelite housing on the Castor earlier in the trip. No external strobe... yet. :wink:

Hey, coming from you, that's quite the compliment! I've been admiring your work for quite a while. :) If you're looking for a buddy for the BHB next time I'm in FL, don't be shy... :wink:

Thank you! Not much of a system at the moment... I have a Canon A720 and most likely used the Canon housing for the above pics since I lost the diffuser for my Ikelite housing on the Castor earlier in the trip. No external strobe... yet. :wink:

Thnx and really nice

Today, I had the BEST DIVE EVER, and I was only one foot deep! We were on our way to Table Tops and suddenly, a pod of dolphins surrounded the boat (perhaps Kevin did some magic or sang his dolphin call that is inaudible to humans, whatever it was...it worked.)

It was a mad scamble to get into the water with fins and masks to take advantage of the rare opportunity. When we first jumped in, we could hear the dolphins chattering amongst themselves. They were quite curious of the boat and of the five people in the water, and at times, they would get within about 5 feet of me.

I would guess there were about 10 - 15 dolphins, including a baby, and they hung around us about 5 minutes. I've attached some pictures, but they really can't capture the fantastic experience.

Thanks to Kevin for the great day!

Attachments

• Dolphin 1.jpg
    Dolphin 1.jpg
    94.9 KB · Views: 81
  • Dolphin 3.jpg
    Dolphin 3.jpg
    134.7 KB · Views: 74
  • Dolphin 2.jpg
    Dolphin 2.jpg
    145.3 KB · Views: 70
  • Dolphin 4.jpg