The Boynton Dive Chronicles (new and improved)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Hey thats me!! I look like a Navy Se.... uhh walrus! Great Pic's Kevin! Always a blast diving with you. Now I get to whistle the rest of the day... "I oughta be in pictures....."

Great pictures Kevin. It sure was a bit rainy and wavy Saturday, but it didn't affect the diving at all with that good visibility. And like you said, the sharks and turtles were everywhere. The Daytona Beach Dive Club is anxious to dive all day with you this week end. Thanks again for the great diving. We'll see you Saturday.

Matt

Hey! See you tomorrow Matt!

We did a couple of dives this morniong. Seas were less than 2', the re was a slight north current, water temps were mostly around 80 degrees, but it felt as theought there was a slight thermocline below about 40 feet. Maybe 78 or 79 in the cool water.

I had kind of a bad camera day today, and didn't take a whole bunch of pictures. I did find a pair pf large loggerhead turtles that I believe were either having a territorial dispute, or were trying to mate. I don't know which but I think that they were both males. Here's some pics, even though they didn't turn out so hot.

Turtles3.jpg

Turtles2.jpg

Turtles5.jpg

Turtles1.jpg

Turtles10.jpg

I thought they turned out very nice

.... water temps were mostly around 80 degrees, but it felt as though there was a slight thermocline below about 40 feet. Maybe 78 or 79 in the cool water....

Kev, I think they turned out pretty good too... I am going to show them to Sophie; she loves turtles. Maybe next time we are down there the seas will cooperate you can point out one or two for her!!

That said, I have to take umbrage with the use of term "cool" in reference to 78-79 degree water!! We are heading our to the local quarry tomorrow south of Chicago and are expecting 47-52 below the thermo-cline!! :shocked2:

I understand it's all relative, but come on!! :wink:

Kev,

Yesterday was just another great day for Kim and I diving on your boat! Our only regret was I should have asked for 3 tanks instead of 2!!! :) Every dive gets better and better, even during the Memorial day weekend weather we can laugh about the surface time and seasickness.

Kim and I have discussed it and it is going to be hard traveling anywhere else and diving off another boat, you and your operation and have set the bar so high no other operation can compare.

Kim is already looking at a calendar for the her return trip to Miami area to "work", me I am coming to DIVE DIVE DIVE!

Thanks again for some great day and dives!

Joe

Last edited:
Hey! I'm glad that you guys had fun! It was fun diving with you as well!

So, today was the day of fnding really cool stuff. I had the wide angle lens today (everyday) but tried to get pics that you guys could see what I'm talking about from. The first cool thing was a black brotula, which I have written about seeing way back in the original BoyntonDive Report thread from years ago. I saw another one a year or two and wrote about it in this thread or it's predicessor which was lost in space, I can't remember which and I don't feel like reading back. I had a camera with me on that sighting, but was unable to capture the moment. Today we found one cleaning the insode of a green moray's mouth. It was awesome. My camera is mostly set up for taking pictures of big things, so I had to crop the pics pretty hard so that you could even see the brotula. I also am leaving them kinda big, so I apologize in advance for Jamming the screen.

brotula2.jpg

brotula1.jpg

brotula3.jpg

The next cool thing was a seahorse, which I have never seen on the reef (except ones that we transplanted after they blew into the marina in a mat of sargassum). I do seem to remember someone asking me if I had seen the transplanted seahorse a few months ago, come to think of it though. This might be the guy. I don't know. I don't know alot about sea horses.

seahorse.jpg

The last really cool thing was big, and of course I didn't bring my camera because my left strobe croaked while I was taking pictures of the brotula, but it was two large green sea turtles, on atop the other. I don't think that they were actively mating... I always thought they did that on the surface. These two were on top of the reef.

Finally, here's the stats from today:

There were small wasves, less than two feet I'd say. There was a mild to moderate north current. Viz was anywhere between 60 and 45 feet, but usually 60. There was a slight layer. I don't know what the warm water was, but the low temp I recorded was 78. I'd say that the warm water was about 79 or 80.

That said, I have to take umbrage with the use of term "cool" in reference to 78-79 degree water!! !

I know I'm sorry. I should have said "numbing".:D Luckily I was wearing a 7mm hooded vest. That's the thing about extreme diving... you need to be prepared and have the right gear.

https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom