The best place to install an octopus?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I do not want my wife dragging along at the end of a 7 foot hose out of my sight. I think I will keep my wife right beside me thank you.
Long hose donation allows you options. In open water, the preferred way to travel after a long hose donation is indeed side-by-side, and it is usually recommended to make a loop in the hose where you hold it to shorten the distance (and dangling line) between you. If you have to go single file because of a restriction, the OOA diver goes first, not dragging behind.

Long hose donation allows you options. In open water, the preferred way to travel after a long hose donation is indeed side-by-side, and it is usually recommended to make a loop in the hose where you hold it to shorten the distance (and dangling line) between you. If you have to go single file because of a restriction, the OOA diver goes first, not dragging behind.
He did make it very clear that he wants to keep his wife beside him.
What preferred way? By whom?

I am not going to debate the long hose vs conventional donations :wink:. I fully understand the need in technical diving. That is way off subject from the OP's original question of left and right. And which did not entail penetration and overhead or deco technical environments. I am not going to allow my wife to disappear behind me and I will not afford her the option to get away from my sight. And I may not have an arm/hand free to loop hoses or complicate the donation. Minimalism, if it is not needed then I do not have it. And in open water, non technical diving I consider it is not an absolute need. If it is not needed then it is a complication, that extra length of hose is contrary therefore to my absolute consideration of Minimalism.

Happy New Year to all,
James

Most rec divers(90%+) that I had came across over last 20 odd yr were NOT using long hose or even 40" with swivel etc.
I have yet to see any dive operator in SE Asia using anything other than the standard set up.

He did make it very clear that he wants to keep his wife beside him.
What preferred way? By whom?
It was how I was trained by each of the 3 agencies that taught me technical diving, and I have never heard differently.

Most rec divers(90%+) that I had came across over last 20 odd yr were NOT using long hose or even 40" with swivel etc.
I have yet to see any dive operator in SE Asia using anything other than the standard set up.
Me either--or anywhere else for that matter.

Bungeed alternates for recreational divers are pretty rare, and long hoses are rarer still. When I did a day boat to the Great Barrier Reef and showed our DM the rig I would be using on the way out, she clearly thought I was out of my mind. As the trip out to the reef went on, the other crew members came by one by one to inspect my bizarre setup. I believe they had a debate as to whether or not I would be allowed to use it. It was obvious they had not only never seen it, they had never heard of it.

40" primary and bungeed 2nd has become much more common in SE Florida

A traditional primary and a combination octopus/inflator (Air 2 like) is a quite common primary donate system

The guy asked about left or right octopus, not about the virtues of primary donate and longhoses... Sheesh...
The worst part is we always have to involve the 'dangly' octo.

I see more people dangling their longhoses by not clipping them off properly when they aren't breathing from their primary, than I see octo's dragging around nowadays...

You can actually route a secondary properly, there is no real link between octo's and dangling: just as you can dive a console without dangling it and using it as a 'shipbow' to plow through sand.

It was how I was trained by each of the 3 agencies that taught me technical diving, and I have never heard differently.
Trimix certified since 1999/2000 but this is Basic Scuba forum.

Me either--or anywhere else for that matter.

Bungeed alternates for recreational divers are pretty rare, and long hoses are rarer still. When I did a day boat to the Great Barrier Reef and showed our DM the rig I would be using on the way out, she clearly thought I was out of my mind. As the trip out to the reef went on, the other crew members came by one by one to inspect my bizarre setup. I believe they had a debate as to whether or not I would be allowed to use it. It was obvious they had not only never seen it, they had never heard of it.
Nothing to write home about!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom