The 2007 Vector 1000 MRS Plus

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

LGH

Registered
Reaction score
Hi. I was wondering about the new Mares Vector 1000 as I am trying to choose between this one and the Dragon (non-AT). I like the MRS Plus system but that was included in last year's model as well. Does the 2007 version really add something new or is it equally wise to go with the 2006 model (which is a tad more affordable where I live).

Also, has anyone any opinions about the difference in fit and underwater handling between the Vector 1000 and the Dragon? In my opinion the Vector does come across as a bit bulky on land while the Dragon looks a tad more sleek. I don't want to buy a BCD that constantly reminds me that I'm wearing one...

Thanks for any input!

Håkan

LGH,
The two bc's mentioned are really quite different. Both are great. The Dragon is a little more streamlined and offers some back inflation with the two wings on the back. The Dragon both 2006 and 2007 models utilize the MRS Plus weight system. The Vector 2006 uses the standard MRS weight system. The Vector 1000 2007 model has been modified to use the new MRS plus system. While both systems are good, I prefer the new. The Dragon was given a testers choice in last years Scuba Diving magazine bcd review/test.

If price is a big concern, I'm sure you will be happy with the 2006 Vector 1000. If you can spring for the new model, I'd do it. The Dragon will last you a very long time, you wont wish you had the new pockets, and you'll appreciate the feel of the bc under and above water. If your going to spend the $, spend it once with no regrets. But like I said earlier there is nothing wrong with last years model, we've just improved it.

Hakan I hope this helps.

P.S.
You might get more feedback on peoples experience with the bcd's if you post in the Bouyancy forum.

Sincerely,

Thanks for your input, Zak, I appreciate it. The local dealer doesn't carry the 2007 Vector 1000, and only the AT version of the Dragon. I'll try to coax him to bringing both of them home so I can try them on.

Håkan

After having tried both the Dragon and the Vector 1000 MRS I decided on the Vector since it fit me a lot better. The one I tried was an MRS-only (not the 2007 model) but I ordered the new one with MRS Plus. It arrived today and fits me almost as good. I can't wait to take this BC to the Philippines next month.

Oh, and the design people at Mares have outdone themselves. This new Vector looks so much better than the old one. Black with red details...nice! :)

Håkan

Back
Top Bottom