That question again - primary light recommendations

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I keep buying HIDs when people sell them and "upgrade" to LEDs. :)
I bought my 21W LM HID from a SB'er who had upgraded to LED. It got me through some training, and when I upgraded to LED I sold it to another SB'er who was getting into cave or tech training. HIDs in good condition can be had for reasonable prices, so I think @Arseniy Urazov would do well to look into that option. I would rather own an HID from a top company like Light Monkey than the latest technology from some others. And I agree the HID color and beam pattern are nicer than LED.

@Lorenzoid Yes I checked thru some old sale posts on SB, and HIDs can be bought for dirty cheap. I just need to see them in water vs an LED to make a decision.

The same questions for you guys that i asked earlier in the thread, @Lorenzoid @macado @Tug, how do you find 21w vs 30-35w HID? Is there a meaningful difference? Would you strictly prefer 30w+ over 21w?

That is a good question. I personally own Light Monkey 2 35W HIDs and my wife owns a Light Monkey 21W HID. I think we've also got an old Salvo 10W HID as a backup somewhere too.

The 35W HID is definitely brighter but to be honest the 21W HID is perfectly adequate and it's all subjective. Supposedly 3000lumens vs 1500 lumens. I usually opt for my 35W HID. The one good advantage of the 21W HID is you get a longer burn time depending what battery use use.

I have no idea if this is true but I was told that Light Monkey can still get 35W and 50W HID bulbs since they are used in other lighting industries but apparently the 21W HID bulb is harder to source. Light Monkey does not sell HID lights anymore but from my understanding they can still service them provided they can get parts. Someone can feel free to correct me if this is wrong.

21w HID is good, but the current draw blows. Any interruption in the power supply turns the light off and it has to be restruck.

LED power consumption is way better, and it’ll just flicker if say the cord is worn or the EO is a little dodgy.

As far as quality and spill, focus 2 is equivalent imo.

@Lorenzoid Yes I checked thru some old sale posts on SB, and HIDs can be bought for dirty cheap. I just need to see them in water vs an LED to make a decision.

The same questions for you guys that i asked earlier in the thread, @Lorenzoid @macado @Tug, how do you find 21w vs 30-35w HID? Is there a meaningful difference? Would you strictly prefer 30w+ over 21w?
Two things about buying a used HID. 1st, you might have a bit of trouble finding a side gland with a long enough cord for SM. (I went back and saw that you're diving SM). 2nd, if you like to be able to stick the light on your helmet, which I do, then the HID light head might be a bit awkward because of the flared reflector. I really don't know, but it's something to think about. I use the razor helmet mount and it's very handy for things like writing notes at navigation points.

Regarding the 21W vs 35W, for the caves in Mexico I would go for 21W, because you'll get better burn time out of a reasonably sized canister. It will be plenty bright for those caves.

I have thought about getting a used HID myself, but I would like to learn something about repairing them before I do it.

I keep buying HIDs when people sell them and "upgrade" to LEDs. :)
I've been doing the same the last couple years. Have yet to have to buy a bulb for any of them , but light monkey has been great about servicing all of them (mix of Salvo and LM)

21w HID is good, but the current draw blows. Any interruption in the power supply turns the light off and it has to be restruck.
Restruck you mean just turn it off and then on?

if you like to be able to stick the light on your helmet, which I do, then the HID light head might be a bit awkward because of the flared reflector. I really don't know, but it's something to think about. I use the razor helmet mount and it's very handy for things like writing notes at navigation points.
Yes i figured that might be a problem, but should be easily fixable by adding a small extender to the mount to increase the gap between the light and the helmet.

Restruck you mean just turn it off and then on?

Yes i figured that might be a problem, but should be easily fixable by adding a small extender to the mount to increase the gap between the light and the helmet.
Yes, but you can’t just flip it back on real quick. It has to cool for a moment.

Yes, but you can’t just flip it back on real quick. It has to cool for a moment.
Another quirk of HIDs. For reasons I don't clearly recall but maybe you do, flipping it on again quickly can shorten the life of the bulb. I always gave it something like a good 30-60 seconds before flipping it back on.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom