That question again - primary light recommendations

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

@RTodd but then why buy two decent lights if you can start with 1 great light?
Originally I though people would recommend me to go for hand held lights due to the nature of diving I am planning to do, but clearly canister is the way to go over medium and longer term. So if i am going the more expensive canister way, I dont see a reason trying to save 20-30% on cost today and then spend double down the road.

@happy-diver @Guille G i will go for the bells and whistles :)

If you were to compare the spillover from the HID lights you guys used, what would be a comparable LED light that produces a similar amount?

I haven't found one yet. Where HID ruled was the combination of punch in turbid water and spill. The halcyon focus easily wins the punch award, but has almost no spill, so it produces wild things in black caves. The light monkey 20w has great spill, but no punch, so in turbid water it has a little backscatter. Dive Rite ex35 is close, but still lacks the punch thing. I haven't seen the new uwld head so can't comment on that, but their older heads had zero focus, which is critical for signaling.

BTW, my go to lights are a light monkey 20w (good all around light), a halcyon focus 2.0 (great in poor vis, I tend to use this the most when teaching) and a light monkey 32w variable focus (great light in very clear caves).

Has anybody tried putting on the DR light diffusor onto LD40?
Does it fit and if yes, does it convert LD40 into a 120degreeish video light or into something in between a video light and a regular primary light?

@RTodd but then why buy two decent lights if you can start with 1 great light?
Originally I though people would recommend me to go for hand held lights due to the nature of diving I am planning to do, but clearly canister is the way to go over medium and longer term. So if i am going the more expensive canister way, I dont see a reason trying to save 20-30% on cost today and then spend double down the road.

@happy-diver @Guille G i will go for the bells and whistles :)
I can't remember if you said you are diving SM or BM, but that will affect your choice of canister light. They are configured for one or the other. I realize some people will use side gland lights in BM but IMO it's not ideal and in general you want a longer cord for SM. So trying to use the same canister light for both is not a good strategy IMO. I'm sure there are people that do it.

I'll give you the rundown of my experience with lights in Mexican caves, and my advice will be different than most of what you're reading here.

I started off with a top gland (BM) 21W HID light from light monkey. I bought it used from LM for about $700 with a warranty. This was maybe 7-8 years ago when I took intro. That light was fantastic in the water and I still miss it. There's something just inherently nice looking about the quality of light from HID bulbs that LEDs still have not yet captured. That's a subjective opinion, BTW. The problem with HID lights is that they're bulky and fragile and prone to problems. My HID light eventually went belly up and LM could not repair it (lack of ballast parts) so they gave me a discount on a new LED light, a 20W that was much more powerful in terms of rated lumens and with longer burn time. I used that light for about a year or two but could never get used to it. It had a focused spot, but there was still too much backscatter for my tastes. I also switched to SM during that time and paid for a SM conversion, which was not cheap. If I added up everything I spent between the original light, some repairs, the upgrades, probably around $2000, maybe a little more.

I sold that light and bought a handheld after borrowing one for a dive. I'm very happy with it, for several reasons. First, I like the way the light looks in the water, mine is a bigblue 4800. People on SB hate them, but I like mine. Second, it was cheap; $500, less than half of what I sold my LM can light for. I don't worry about it traveling, I can get extra batteries cheap (I have one and switch between dives) and the burn time is 2 hours on high, 4 hours on medium, and in the MX caves, the medium setting is generally plenty of light. It's just less to worry about and the light looks decent, pretty focused, it just works and I don't care about banging it around. I also like the fact that it's small enough that you can carry an extra in the pouch or if I ever really need a more powerful light for 6 hour dives, I can use this one as a very bright back up light. It's a matter of practicality.

I have spent some time diving with buddies that have the halcyon focus (I think, it's a small can light with a square yellow spot) and I would not buy one of those. I also did a few dives with a guy using a UWLD light, I don't know which one, but IMO I didn't like the way it looked in the water. This was maybe two years ago, and at the time it was a brand new light. To me it had the same problems as the LM I had sold; too much back scatter, very powerful but just not enjoyable to dive with. And it was pretty expensive, around $2K in Mexico.

So here's my advice. Don't buy an expensive canister light. Get a cheap handheld that will get you through your classes, get some experience, and actually try different lights on dives. Regardless of the strongly held opinions by a few posters on this forum, light preference is pretty subjective. I will never buy another expensive light without trying it on at least a couple of dives. You won't regret having an extra handheld light that works as a primary or back up, or you could sell it and end up being out maybe $200. That's about the cost of one day of guided diving in MX. Plus, the BM vs SM issue is real, and if you're diving BM for your class in MX, be aware that you might be switching at some point. There are real advantages to diving SM in those caves, and I spent years in BM before I switched. If you mentioned that you're already diving SM and I didn't see that, sorry.

I can't believe I wrote that much about a damn dive light! Geez, I need to get on with my life, lol.

Orcatorch D630 canister light. Works for both backmount or sidemount, has decent to moderate burn times, and won't break the bank. Not nearly as robust as some of the others mentioned and not quite as utilitarian without the EO connector but probably more than sufficient for tourist cave diving.

So here's my advice. Don't buy an expensive canister light. Get a cheap handheld that will get you through your classes, get some experience, and actually try different lights on dives. Regardless of the strongly held opinions by a few posters on this forum, light preference is pretty subjective. I will never buy another expensive light without trying it on at least a couple of dives.
I will actually be renting lights for the duration of the course, so right now I am trying to figure out what not to buy as much as what to buy after the course is over and I had a chance to talk to the instructor etc (diving SM).

About HID lights, I keep on reading in different threads how some people really prefer the light quality of HID bulbs (@kensuf mentioned it in this thread also) but I used to disregard it thinking that HID is becoming obsolete. But changing my mind on this, I will probably try to find someone with a nice HID light and compare it to UWLD or some other trendy/respected LED.

Do you have any thoughts on 21w vs 35w HID lights? Is 35w an overkill? Or given two identical HID lights (21w and 35w), I should really only consider 35w?

And a separate thank you on writing out your experience with lights; that was of much help!

Yesterday I dove with a guy that was on an older 21W HID light. Throughout the dive I kept thinking to myself that perfection was had when we were diving double 104s and HID lights, such a beautiful color temperature and perfect amount of spillover.

I’m dreading the day that my 21W HID dies. Might have to keep an eye out for used ones for sale.

I’m dreading the day that my 21W HID dies. Might have to keep an eye out for used ones for sale.
I keep buying HIDs when people sell them and "upgrade" to LEDs. :)

So far I've been really happy with my LM 20w variable LED, it's rock solid and I like the blanking option for guaranteeing it doesn't get accidentally turned on. My only regret is that I didn't go with the 32w LED instead... FWIW, I also have a BigBlue TL8000P that I use on warm, recreational dives, but honestly the weight on the integrated battery battery get heavy on the wrist after a while. I do prefer it's light diffusion better, though.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom