Thailand does not allow to rent tanks

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

the underwater world does not belong to PADI
Yeh, right. Next you'll be saying there's no Father Christmas! Get real, bro.

Of course the ocean does not belong to PADI, but lets say I work for a PADI 5 Star Dive Centre (I do) and I lend you tanks, and you use them to teach your pal diving (and you are not an instructor), and he has an accident...Do you think PADI will let my dive centre continue to use their name? No.

I really don't want to theach anyone, but just theoretical....
If I come to you with an OW, AOW or something like that, rent two tanks from you.
You ask me for what: I tell: "just looking arround here on the beach". Later my friend who has no certificate at all, but I gave him one tank has an accident. In the common sense you are not respondsible, because you didn't know about it. Does PADI make you respondsible because it were your tanks?

Batfish:
Yeh, right. Next you'll be saying there's no Father Christmas! Get real, bro.

Of course the ocean does not belong to PADI, but lets say I work for a PADI 5 Star Dive Centre (I do) and I lend you tanks, and you use them to teach your pal diving (and you are not an instructor), and he has an accident...Do you think PADI will let my dive centre continue to use their name? No.

Batfish:
I lend you tanks, and you use them to teach your pal diving (and you are not an instructor), and he has an accident...Do you think PADI will let my dive centre continue to use their name? No.
I think that as long as you pay your dues and buy your insurance PADI will be perfectly happy.

limbo:
Smartecosse,
You obviously never rented from the big car rental companies, you really think, even in Thailand, that they let you take a car out of their compound without putting a deposit down?

As I stated in an earlier post in this thread, we have rented tanks, if the person has a good story and reason why he needs hem and if we get a dsposit of him/her.
Although the rent may only be 600 Baht for 3 or 4 tanks, these 3 or 4 tanks are a lot more worth than the rental fee. A sensible business person wants that covered, absolutely nothing wrong with that.

there is a big difference from renting from hertz etc that i have done many times and letting the pre auth your card than renting from mom & pop with the two jazz's out front who will try and stiff you at every opportunity, the same as the bike rental companies and the same as the jet ski rental brigade. its part of life and if you don't have that in Samui / Tao then you are lucky. Its rife in the rest of Thailand

The point i was trying to make that seems to have alluded you is that is someone is trying to save the 20 $ or so an organised shore dive costs by paying 5 $ to rent a tank it is unlikely they will want to have their card pre auth'd for 200 $ etc

I was not saying that shops shouldnt get a deposit of people, of course they should. Personally i only rent out equip to people i know unless there is one of the inst's going with them.

anyway regardless of that H90 is either a troll or a complete muppet :D

h90:
IIf anyone want to risk his life by diving without knowing anything than it is his privat thing.

Yes it is. But I wouldn't want to help such a person with renting him/her the tools to help them out of their miserable existance.
It's like borrowing a suicidal person the rope and chair to hang himself with.
:D

TAT regulations state that ALL divers must be accompined by a Tour guide (divemaster or equv) whilst diving in Thailand.(no regional differential)

TAT also state that divers must have access to o2 on dive site.

PADI SSI CMAS etc have to work within the legal boundrys set by country so any DC if aware has every right to refuse tanks.

Im aware of this after working in a chamber in Thailand for many years and having INSURANCE REFUSED for a non professional diver who got DCS whilst diving independently.

Yes this is a rare and exceptional case and its not my own personal opinion on the matter before people on the board flame me,however it is the law in Thailand.

TAT regulations state that ALL divers must be accompined by a Tour guide (divemaster or equv) whilst diving in Thailand
Show me the regulations and I'll believe you. As far as I know, TAT says hardly anything about diving.

TAT also state that divers must have access to o2 on dive site.
See above.

INSURANCE REFUSED for a non professional diver who got DCS whilst diving independently
Looks more like an insurance company trying to avoid paying to me.

Yes the insurance company as per useall getting out of paying,same with large motorbikes not being covered consumption of alcohol etc etc.

The mednote had confirmation from TAT confirming above.Beleive me I was not impressed.

Up to you to confirm this if you are working within Thailand its not well publicised but its fact.

The 02 regulation (incidently only requires freeflow) can be found under legislation regarding dive boats along with the required 1000,000bht liabilty insurance.

But then again its also ilegal to ride a motorbike without a helmet.........

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom