Thailand does not allow to rent tanks

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

u think that only farang run companies are out to get money from you in the dive industry in thailand?

they all are its a business, they need to make money. Persoanlly i don't see the point in refusing to rent you a tank even if they only make a measly 50 Bhat off you for it.........

smartecosse:
u think that only farang run companies are out to get money from you in the dive industry in thailand?

they all are its a business, they need to make money. Persoanlly i don't see the point in refusing to rent you a tank even if they only make a measly 50 Bhat off you for it.........

thai companies give for 100 Baht for rent. I saw "farang" companies giving it for 200 Baht for rent. Not really prices which make you rich.

I guess due to higher costs of farang teacher and all the visa troubles they must make more money to live.
Like on the restaurant, a farang restaurant will not be able to serve good food for 20-30 Baht.

rental price of a tank has nothing to do with wp's or wages of inst's

you need to remember though that tanks and so forth have to be paid for initially, inspected regularly and the filters and so forth on compressors need to be changed.

100 baht a tank is a good price for renting and below the trade price from some companies. as with everything in life though u get what you pay for. the extra 20 back for a tank that has actaully been inspected and is filled with "quality" breathing air is a small price to pay for the extra 20 or 50 baht.

yes for the filters of the compressors I am afraid, even I never had any problems with bad air.
For inspection of the tanks in thailand, well....
Is it known here? I think luckily the aluminium tanks most use here seem to be very resistant against any problem.
I think many don't inspect the tanks. Bye reminding me on the air filters you really cause me a bad day..... Do they change them???
Actually 150 or 200 Baht per tank is fully OK. The tank cost, sometimes it must get service, the valve might need service......

smartecosse:
rental price of a tank has nothing to do with wp's or wages of inst's

you need to remember though that tanks and so forth have to be paid for initially, inspected regularly and the filters and so forth on compressors need to be changed.

100 baht a tank is a good price for renting and below the trade price from some companies. as with everything in life though u get what you pay for. the extra 20 back for a tank that has actaully been inspected and is filled with "quality" breathing air is a small price to pay for the extra 20 or 50 baht.

Maybe one of the reasons some shops do NOT rent out tanks is because they do not know what you're going to do under water. Some people may want to rent tanks and go spear fishing on scuba, another may give his friend "instruction" without being a certified instructor, yet another may want to use it to collect shells.

Bingo, hit the nail right on the head Bowmouth!
For those who rent from us we know precisely who they are, what level diver, what they are up to and where our tanks will be exactly - what time they will be returned and that minimum 30 bar will be left in the tanks etc etc etc.

Bowmouth: of course thats possible, but in every sport illegal things may happen. with the same arguments you could block people from renting a car or motorbike (making car races, theach the friend, drive drunk).
It would mean to forbid every diving without a company.
As for Thailand there is no law which does not allow me to instruct my friend without beeing certified.

If someone is certified as OW, AOW or higher that should be enough to know what they are doing.

h90:
yes for the filters of the compressors I am afraid, even I never had any problems with bad air.
Is it known here? I think luckily the aluminium tanks most use here seem to be very resistant against any problem.
I think many don't inspect the tanks. Bye reminding me on the air filters you really cause me a bad day..... Do they change them???
Actually 150 or 200 Baht per tank is fully OK. The tank cost, sometimes it must get service, the valve might need service......

H90 - Is it known here? Of course the tanks in reputable DC's are serviced! For example on Phuket look out for the red stickers from STI (many DC's use this company for their tank and compressor maintenance work etc) on the tanks you are renting to see the service dates etc. Don't know about Pattaya though. As for not changing filters on the compressors it has been known that some DC's do not change their filters as often as they should. On the other hand most decent op's do change very regularly if not before the recommended required amount of hours.

h90:

Our company does visuals and hydrostatic testings, on Koh Samui.
We also change the filters on our compressors.

h90:
Bowmouth: of course thats possible, but in every sport illegal things may happen. with the same arguments you could block people from renting a car or motorbike (making car races, theach the friend, drive drunk).
It would mean to forbid every diving without a company.

As for Thailand there is no law which does not allow me to instruct my friend without beeing certified.

If someone is certified as OW, AOW or higher that should be enough to know what they are doing.

I've seen the effects of uncertified instructors on new divers or people diving without being taught and no supervision.
The new divers funnily enough ended up dead. Actually, it was not that funny at all. During a search conducted at the dive site, I did find the 'missing' diver. A lot of hurt was involved.

So, please, go ahead and kill some of your friends whilst you teach them, I wonder if you're still looking for tanks to rent after that, since as you stated , there's no law in Thailand that forbids this.:11: (Is that so, it wouldn't surprise me).

Think twice before you write stuff like that, there's a reason that there are training agencies out there.

It seems that some dive shops have their heads screwed on the right way and try to prevent stuff like this to happen.

In respect to the dive shop I work for now, we have rented tanks to individuals before, but aren't too over zealous to do so, you better have a very good reason and are willing to leave a deposit.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom