Thailand does not allow to rent tanks

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Just had someone this morning (AOW certified or so he said as he did not have his c - card on him) walk in wanting to rent 4 tanks. Did not know him, he could not tell me where he was going to take my tanks, weights and belts and he did not want to pay me a full deposit to cover the costs in case of disapearance or loss etc.

End of the story - Sorry I cannot help you! He then accused me of being a rip - off!!! Hmmmm - now what is wrong with this picture?

Nothing wrong!
Normal would be say 8.000 Baht deposit per Tank (creditcard authorisation).
And of course he must have a normal story what he want to do with it. Exact location and approx. what he is expecting there. Anyway he can tell you a fake story.
And not having the AOW card with you when you go in a dive center to rent tanks is also very fishy......
Really nothing wrong with not giving the tanks.

Ringo:
Just had someone this morning (AOW certified or so he said as he did not have his c - card on him) walk in wanting to rent 4 tanks. Did not know him, he could not tell me where he was going to take my tanks, weights and belts and he did not want to pay me a full deposit to cover the costs in case of disapearance or loss etc.

End of the story - Sorry I cannot help you! He then accused me of being a rip - off!!! Hmmmm - now what is wrong with this picture?

so you would actually expect someont to have their card preauthorised for 32,000 baht to rent four tanks at a cost of 600 baht?

when you rent a car or motorbike you also need that sometimes.
I as customer does not have any problems with that (if the shop doesn't look that bad that I worry for my creditcardinformations). For motorbike I did it a few times already.
How else can you be sure to get it back (or back in time in good conditions) and a preauthorisation does not hurt.
Maybe there are other solutions like keeping the Passport?

smartecosse:
so you would actually expect someont to have their card preauthorised for 32,000 baht to rent four tanks at a cost of 600 baht?

there is no way in thailand when renting a car or a bike that I would let anyone preauthorise my card . you are simply leaving yourself open to them to charge you 20k for the "damage" that isnt there or was there before etc

i can't see that many people that are trying to save the 20 $'s or whatever a shore dive costs letting that much be preauthorised either.......

smartecosse:
there is no way in thailand when renting a car or a bike that I would let anyone preauthorise my card . you are simply leaving yourself open to them to charge you 20k for the "damage" that isnt there or was there before etc

i can't see that many people that are trying to save the 20 $'s or whatever a shore dive costs letting that much be preauthorised either.......

I did that many times without any problems. My friend had once a big damage, we asked several shops first how much it costs and than we brought it back and got charged only half of the regular price as his brother has a shop and they didn't want to make profit on that.

But on the tanks: you can't blame the dive center if they don't give you a tank without any guarantee, how can they know that they see the tanks again?

Smartecosse,
You obviously never rented from the big car rental companies, you really think, even in Thailand, that they let you take a car out of their compound without putting a deposit down?

As I stated in an earlier post in this thread, we have rented tanks, if the person has a good story and reason why he needs hem and if we get a dsposit of him/her.
Although the rent may only be 600 Baht for 3 or 4 tanks, these 3 or 4 tanks are a lot more worth than the rental fee. A sensible business person wants that covered, absolutely nothing wrong with that.

Can I have your credit card details? I'm thinking of going to Nepal. Teach your friend diving at AOW level.lol

You know it is not many years ago were Hans Hass and Cousteau started with that and they had no PADI certificate. Others sports like mountain climbing are more dangerous than SCUBA and you can do it without any certificate.
The ways how you do it safe are not top secrect, if someone just don't follow it, it is their own problem. We don't need anyone nanny taking care.
TAT was a poor excuse I must admit, but just by looking at your post they possibly thought best give you some old tosh to get you out the shop as could not be arsed with you. It happens. And it is wrong

PS there’s also a post going on about mask on head drop by there I’m sure they will like you too!

I think it is good to follow these steps:

1) reading
2) thinking
3) than posting.

First of all PADI does not own diving and can not make laws. If anyone want to risk his life by diving without knowing anything than it is his privat thing.
In Thailand are still some dive theacher arround without any certificate. The last one I saw had arround 4000 loged dives, never any problems, and sure he knew a lot better than most of the "from zero to hero" divers.

And I never told that it is a good idea to theach without knowlege but the underwater world does not belong to PADI and for sure there are also skilled people without certificate
Nookibear:
Can I have your credit card details? I'm thinking of going to Nepal. Teach your friend diving at AOW level.lol

You know it is not many years ago were Hans Hass and Cousteau started with that and they had no PADI certificate. Others sports like mountain climbing are more dangerous than SCUBA and you can do it without any certificate.
The ways how you do it safe are not top secrect, if someone just don't follow it, it is their own problem. We don't need anyone nanny taking care.
TAT was a poor excuse I must admit, but just by looking at your post they possibly thought best give you some old tosh to get you out the shop as could not be arsed with you. It happens. And it is wrong

PS there’s also a post going on about mask on head drop by there I’m sure they will like you too!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom