Thailand- DIN or Yoke?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

CompuDude

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
So I'm headed to Thailand tomorrow. Yay! Lots of touring, then to Phuket on the 19th.

Suddenly it occurs to me my regs are all DIN. I have a yoke adapter, but do I need to bring it? What's the norm over there?

I might have time to swing by the shop and borrow their wrench to convert my first stage back to Yoke (I have the part). If DIN is really rare, and I have time (so much to do, so little time!) I might just do that rather than deal with the annoying adapter for three solid days of diving.

CompuDude,

The norm in Thailand is YOKE. Most diveshops will have a few DIN-adapters for those divers who forgot to bring their own.
Also, you very likely will be diving with (80 cubic feet / 12 liter) aluminium cyllinders and not steel tanks.

Hope this will help!

It may be worth checking with the shop / boat you plan on diving with, although this may be too late. I know the boats I have been on there have lots of tanks with DIN valves with yoke adapters inserted for the majority of SEA divers to use. It's simple for them to take out the adapter for DIN regs.

It's 99% yoke in Thailand but almost every shop will have an adapter available for you and also if you ask around a bit more you will be able to find both steel tanks and DIN tanks. Shouldn't be a problem really.

Yup, I heard back from the local I'm diving with that it's all yoke. Looks like I'll be bringing my yoke adapter along, since I don't have time to hit the LDS to do a proper conversion...

Thanks!

That's the safest way CD but I think a lot of people look at the tanks and assume they are yoke valves when they really are DIN with the yoke adapter inserts. The inserts are usually in because most of South East Asian divers use yoke. I know on the Black Manta, I have to tell people who are using DIN regulators that they can take off their yoke-to-DIN adapter as well as our DIN-to-yoke insert!

I have a few DIN tanks with yoke adapters inside, as does BM obviously, but that is really an exception here. Nearly all boats: Yoke tanks, so for a DIN reg you need the adapter.

I sit corrected.... I thought Vincent got those DIN tanks in Thailand to do what everyone else was doing there.

I'm covered either way, but I'm told the boats we're going on are Yoke-only (although I can rent DIN for extra cost). I'm covered... thanks!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom