Texas specifically....How do you define visibility?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

rkon:
Vis is generally measured horizontally.
Historically, water clarity was measured vertically, by oceanographers and limnologists aboard ship. Even today most measurements are vertical. Scuba divers have co-opted most of the same techniques, and adapted them for horizontal measurements. Generally the differences are minor, at least in shallow water.

Vis and Texas? hmmm... I do not think the two go together... I have found it difficult to find good vis in Texas... will take suggestions though..

Vis & Texas.... can those two words actually go together?? For me .... If I can see my fin I say I had GOOD VIS!! of course I'll dive in any mud hole there is!!

archman:
Historically, water clarity was measured vertically, by oceanographers and limnologists aboard ship. Even today most measurements are vertical. Scuba divers have co-opted most of the same techniques, and adapted them for horizontal measurements. Generally the differences are minor, at least in shallow water.

Sigh, reminds me of when I was working offshorse as first mate on trips for [a major university out of Galveston] research trips...but I digress, yup, if you could define the shape and contrast of the disc, then it was "visible" under the rules that we worked under - which did _roughly_ approximate the horizontal viz from the same areas underwater.

*chuckle* if anyone out there from [a major Texas university out of Galveston] who works with Dr. L at A&M-MB let him know that I had the time of my life, especially that time when the waterspout dropped a few hundred yards behind the boat while we were 25 miles offshore while we still had a sable trap (and a couple of smaller traps) in the water (nothing better in life than seeing those grad students turn grey while watching us pull in that traps in sudden 8-10 ft seas,) let him know that I had the time of my life that day and let him know that the art. reef namesake's family had a really good laugh when they heard the story of that trip - and after hearing that everything was OK. Let him know that all of his work is greatly appreciated.

(Note here: the weather was completely unpredicted, it was simply one of those Gulf Coast surprises.)

chrispete:
[a major Texas university out of Galveston] who works with Dr. L at A&M-MB

Ya' know, it's okay on this board to say Texas A&M University at Galveston, and Andre Landry, Ph.D.. We won't lynch you. :wink:. I won't even try to ascertain which boat you were first mate on... several vessels fit the description.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom