Texas specifically....How do you define visibility?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Charlie and Walter have both provided links to past threads.

Dee:
How do you judge the viz?
Well I used to just write a random number that was with the relm of possibility in my log book.

But since I started DM training in low vis conditions, I've come across a new approach:

Seems an awfull lot of my time is spent "encouraging" students to keep within eyesite of the buddy team in front of them. So I define visibilty by how far the group in front can get ahead before I loose site of them.

My shop uses bright yellow tanks, but the students buy their own fins, which are often dark, so the vis estimates are now how far before I can't see that bright yellow tank in front of me.

I think 15' was the max I got this year :).

Aw hell since everything has been discussed on this board before why don't we just all stop posting and go back re-read all posts? That sounds like FUN!!! NOT! Give me a break! There are a few thousand threads on this board how about if you see something you are not interested in, SKIP OVER IT! I liked the thread and I liked seeing people I know posting on the topic. I don't know the people from three years ago.
I define visibility as the last thing I can make out somewhat clearly. Clear being a somewhat loosley based term in a Texas Lake.

Debraw:
Aw hell since everything has been discussed on this board before why don't we just all stop posting and go back re-read all posts? That sounds like FUN!!! NOT! Give me a break! There are a few thousand threads on this board how about if you see something you are not interested in, SKIP OVER IT! I liked the thread and I liked seeing people I know posting on the topic. I don't know the people from three years ago.
We have quite a few more than a few thousand threads. On the topics of determining vis, the number is rather er... lower. I do not see what difference it makes whether or not you "know" the people that make the postings. The information is still accurate. And there's considerably more information from those previous threads. A lot of us don't even post to Q& A threads anymore, if we've done so already at an earlier time. Is there a specific question you have regarding underwater visibility that hasn't been answered in this thread? I can look it up for you from the past threads, or probably answer it off the top of my head. This thread's still pretty "young"; we haven't rehashed all the known measurement methods yet, not by far.

Debra, chill out girl. No one suggested not posting, no one was anything other than pleasant until you got upset because links to old posts were offered. It appeared people were looking for information, the links provided that information. They were provided out of a desire to help. If that bothers you, SKIP OVER IT!

Does this really matter?

"Darlin',

I think we had this discussion just over three years ago."

Does it really matter if it was discussed three years ago? 30 minutes ago yeah I can see pointing that out, but three years ago?

" This thread's still pretty "young"; we haven't rehashed all the known measurement methods yet, not by far.[/QUOTE]

And if we rehash? What's the big deal? If the post were 30 minutes old or a day old yeah I can see where it would be considered repetitive but 3 years ago leaves a lot of new people out of the loop. I post in Texas Swamp Divers because I know the people. I like to ready their posts. It does matter to me, they are more relevant when it's people I know personally.

It was an intro to the link which answered the question. You don't want to read it, that's ok, skip it. If you're really looking for information, you'll be happy to follow the link. If you're not really looking for information, but just want to play, go ahead and play. No one has suggested you shouldn't. Why are you upset if someone actually provides the answer to the question asked?

Yep, your right and I am wrong. I feel so silly now. I will go back to playing.

Debraw:
I post in Texas Swamp Divers because I know the people. I like to ready their posts. It does matter to me, they are more relevant when it's people I know personally.
Except take a look at the posters on this thread, and tell me what the percentage of swampers posting is. Not too high. The thread isn't specific to swampers, it's merely in our regional forum for some odd reason.

There is nothing wrong with "rehashing", it is just that there is little reason to do so on an educationally-driven thread where the answers from previous threads still remain true. Hence we post links to such threads, or even combine those older postings with the newer ones. That way you have more information to work with, not less.

Is there something in the prior links that you found inappropriate for "modern" times?

Back
Top Bottom