Testing Rules are Changing...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Oh please, what other vaccines had people posting on social media that they just got vaccinated (or even partially vaccinated), posting pics of their vax card, changing their profile pics to "Vaccinated", and even wearing around t-shirts saying "I'm Vaccinated"?
I don't read social media (well, there is SB), but I do recall seeing pics of that kind of silliness. I really don't know why people post pics of themselves doing anything on social media, so I'm the wrong one to try to guess what was going through their minds. If I had to guess, I would guess they were showing the world how relieved--even giddy--they were that they now had some degree of protection against the virus. But again, I don't understand in general why anyone feels a need to share how they're feeling with the world.

Oh please, what other vaccines had people posting on social media that they just got vaccinated (or even partially vaccinated), posting pics of their vax card, changing their profile pics to "Vaccinated", and even wearing around t-shirts saying "I'm Vaccinated"?
What other disease in history paralyzed the entire planet, and could be transmitted globally so quickly?

What other disease in history paralyzed the entire planet, and could be transmitted globally so quickly?
Spanish flu, black plague, how many others that we don't even know about now.

Well, there've been pandemics before...but in the modern day, we've gotten used to the idea 1st world countries have advanced healthcare that'll protect us. There are infectious agents for which there's no cure (e.g.: HIV) or it's extremely expensive and lengthy (e.g.: Hepatitis C), but those are body fluid-transmitted and if you don't swap fluids, most people should be okay (with due respect to hemophiliacs early in the AIDs onslaught when the blood supply wasn't secured against it).

Living people don't remember the Spanish Flu or the Black Death. The original SARS didn't spread to cause widespread havoc. 'Swine Flu' didn't turn out as bad as feared. Ebola's probably thought of as 'that African thing,' and West Nile virus doesn't make the news so much.

Now that I think of it, we've dodged the bullet a number of times, we have gotten hit hard before, and the power of modern healthcare has its limits.

I think a couple of factors were in play.

1.) Virtue signaling/attention-seeking, as you suggest, to be seen as one of the 'cool kids.'

2.) Efforts to sell a perception vaccination is mainstream, popular, smart and the 'in' thing to do (not unlike those 'I donated blood' stickers). Were they endorsing a course of action, or creating peer pressure for it?

Spanish flu, black plague, how many others that we don't even know about now.
Oh, yeah!

I remember reading about closing down international air travel when both of those hit.

wearing around t-shirts saying "I'm Vaccinated"?
I wore and shared photos of several last summer. I never saw anyone else?

I think a couple of factors were in play.

1.) Virtue signaling/attention-seeking, as you suggest, to be seen as one of the 'cool kids.'

2.) Efforts to sell a perception vaccination is mainstream, popular, smart and the 'in' thing to do (not unlike those 'I donated blood' stickers). Were they endorsing a course of action, or creating peer pressure for it?

Virtue-signaling on social media is what I was talking about, not the merits/risks/whatever of the vaccine itself. It's the same way with "I Voted".

Oh, yeah!

I remember reading about closing down international air travel when both of those hit.
Did you say history?

Back
Top Bottom