Terics and Zoop Nuvo settings

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Diver-6873

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
So our almost daily dive computers are our Terics (6-10x per week year round). I picked up a couple Zoop Nuvos as backups and/or for use by guests on island. I know the two use different algorithms I am trying to set the Zoop to be as close to the Terics as possible for NDLs, Safety Stops, etc. Anyone familiar with BOTH and what Nuvo settings would closest match the Terics? Thanks.

Run the Zoop Novo in gauge mode. For NDL you just need to manage ascent rate and safety stop. For deco, the Zoop would lock out in any other mode. Use gauge mode and your analog dive plan that you should have written in your wet notes.

Run the Zoop Novo in gauge mode. For NDL you just need to manage ascent rate and safety stop. For deco, the Zoop would lock out in any other mode. Use gauge mode and your analog dive plan that you should have written in your wet notes.
Understand and likely good for many dive profiles but here on island for shore diving it’s not quite what I’m looking to do with the Zoop. Most dives vary real-time without a defined MOD/Time.

Hi @Diver-6873

The Terics run Buhlmann ZH-L16C with gradient factors, the Zoop Novos run Suunto RGBM. The two computers will generally not run similarly. What GFs do you use on your Terics? At its most liberal setting the Suunto will run at about a GF high of 85, or perhaps a little higher, on the first dive of the day. The Teric will run more liberally on repetitive dives while the Suunto will run more conservatively.

I would suggest setting the Suuntos on their most liberal setting (0, rather than 1 or 2) and dive them with your Terics to see how they run. At worst, the Suuntos will be controlling and too conservative on repetitive dives, particularly with a short surface interval. You'll find out quickly if you can dive them or not.

Hi @Diver-6873

The two computers will generally not run similarly. What GFs do you use on your Terics? At its most liberal setting the Suunto will run at about a GF high of 85, or perhaps a little higher, on the first dive of the day. The Teric will run more liberally on repetitive dives while the Suunto will run more conservatively.

I would suggest setting the Suuntos on their most liberal setting (0, rather than 1 or 2) and dive them with your Terics to see how they run. At worst, the Suuntos will be controlling and too conservative on repetitive dives, particularly with a short surface interval. You'll find out quickly if you can dive them or not.
Thanks … I’ll set them to zero(0) and see. When I first got them, it was interesting to see the difference (we do e several dives with the Terics and Zoops).

our Terics are set to ZHL 16C+GF
GF Conserv is custom at 40/85.

The Zoop (at conservatism 0) is about equivalent to a GF x/90 on a clean dive, but gets increasingly conservative for repetitive dives. (The first GF doesn't matter for an NDL dive.)

Since the Teric's configuration is more granular, you might run a ballpark plan on the zoop before a repetitive dive, then adjust the Teric's GF so it's plan matches more or less.

Cool. I had a Zoop Novo before my first SW and explored a couple different options for how to use the the Zoop as a back up.

I’m not sure why you’d want to limit your Teric to mirroring the conservatism of a Zoop Novo for NDL diving, but based on this NEDU study, you could probably start with Teric GF 50/70 and Zoop Conserv. 0. Adjust based on empirical data. The Bühlmann ZHL16-C and the Suunto-RGBM Models are sufficiently different that you’d need to target a specific depth to achieve convergence. As your depth varies from the this target depth, the model results will diverge.

Given the very very small probability of a dive computer failure, a potentially better approach to managing the very minor risk of a Teric failure would be (a) utilize your partners Teric to complete the dive; or (b) abort in a timely manner based on available gas. In both cases, you likely manage any repetitive dives using square tables/gauge mode. This approach would allow you a backup plan while also giving you the flexibility of setting your preferred Teric GFs.

good luck.

Thanks … I’ll set them to zero(0) and see. When I first got them, it was interesting to see the difference (we do e several dives with the Terics and Zoops).

our Terics are set to ZHL 16C+GF
GF Conserv is custom at 40/85.
Let us know how it works out after you have some experience

Suunto really likes long surface intervals. If you have > 2 hours between dives then it will be a bit more liberal than GF High 85 on deep (30m/100ft) dives, and a bit more conservative in the 12-20 m range.

If your surface intervals are < 2 hours then it will be closer to GF High 70 for consecutive dives.

Main thing to look out for is that you might trigger a mandatory safety stop on the Suunto if you trigger the ascent warning. This can easily happen if you just move your arm up a bit too quickly.

Maybe my original post was not clear to some --- sorry about that.

I picked up the Zoom Nuvos to use in case our Terics had issues where we were with out them (although we can generally get loaners or RMA replacements) but more importantly for family and friends who are visiting and do not have their own computers.

Diving here is almost all shore diving with very minimal SI time for same-day dives (usually about 45-60mins). 32% enriched for some family, regular 21% for others. Our Terics are always at 32% as we dive that mix almost exclusively on island.

What I am trying to do is to get the Zoom PO2, NDL, and other settings "as close as possible" to our Terics given the differences with the two computers. Thanks.

Back
Top Bottom