Teric owners, have you required repair or replacement service?

Teric owners, have you required repair or replacemant service?

• No

Votes: 82 45.3%
  • Yes, repair

Votes: 35 19.3%
  • Yes, replacement

Votes: 16 8.8%
  • Yes, multiple repair and/or replacement

Votes: 38 21.0%
  • Other, see post

Votes: 10 5.5%

• Total voters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Your experience is why I sold a “good” teric and shifted to perdix 2. Hopefully you get a good one, but they do say lucky number 7;-)
Shearwater offered me a Teric replacement or a Perdix 2. I thought long and hard about the choice. I have nearly 500 dives on a Teric since I bought my 1st one in 2019 and I like it very much, when it is working. Forty three percent of the people replying to this poll have never had a repair or replacement, I'm still trying to become one of them. We'll see.

Between my 2 Terics, I've sent them off something like 5 times, all for too-rapid battery drain when not in use.

I am not too bothered and will stick with Terics (even though both of them need to be sent off again now) because the problems have never actually caused me an issue. I've never missed a dive because they were dead. The issue just causes me to have to charge them more often when stored and try to remember to charge them in the last few days before I know I'm going to use them. But, even when I don't remember to charge them, I have not yet had a dive day where I started with a low charge and had them get to the point of a Low Battery warning before the end of the day. Then I charge them at the end of the day and they are good for roughly the rest of a week.

In other words, even if I forget to charge them before a dive day, they still have enough charge to get through a day, and then I charge them.

Would it be nice if they held a charge like they're supposed to? Absolutely. Is it a major problem that they don't? No, It really is just a minor inconvenience. Which I'm happy to live with rather than go back to having a brick on my wrist.

As per @stuartv I have limped along several times while the battery performance was decreasing, finally sending it in. The computer simply required more frequent charging while in idle and while actively diving. I, also, never missed a dive due to the battery.

This was my 3rd battery failure. The battery started to deteriorate last July, when it was about 6 months old. I waited about 5 more months before sending it in for replacement. Before sending it in, the battery decreased to 14% after 28 days, an average of a little over 3% per day. Most recently, it decreased from full charge to 90% in 48 hours, finally falling out of specifications (>92% at 2 days).

This pattern of normal battery behavior, followed by progressive deterioration, has been present in all 3 of my battery failures. For Teric #5, I did 18 dives in March, 20 dives in April, and 19 dives in May. The battery started to deteriorate, and I did 21 dives in July, 38 dives in August, and 12 dives in October. The battery performance continued to decrease until I recently sent it in, to start over.

As per @stuartv I have limped along several times while the battery performance was decreasing, finally sending it in. The computer simply required more frequent charging while in idle and while actively diving. I, also, never missed a dive due to the battery.

This was my 3rd battery failure. The battery started to deteriorate last July, when it was about 6 months old. I waited about 5 more months before sending it in for replacement. Before sending it in, the battery decreased to 14% after 28 days, an average of a little over 3% per day. Most recently, it decreased from full charge to 90% in 48 hours, finally falling out of specifications (>92% at 2 days).

This pattern of normal battery behavior, followed by progressive deterioration, has been present in all 3 of my battery failures. For Teric #5, I did 18 dives in March, 20 dives in April, and 19 dives in May. The battery started to deteriorate, and I did 21 dives in July, 38 dives in August, and 12 dives in October. The battery performance continued to decrease until I recently sent it in, to start over.
I get that, it just creates less confidence in the product and you shouldn’t have to wonder about your dive computer,

I get that, it just creates less confidence in the product and you shouldn’t have to wonder about your dive computer,

It definitely IS disappointing that, at this point, the battery problems are not totally put to bed. Very disappointing.

But, having my computers lose charge faster than they should when stored really does not affect my confidence in their in-water performance at all. Maybe I'm just ignorant. Or stupid. But, that's where I'm at on it....

For the past several charging cycles I’m only using the solar battery charger, only 1amp, so far it’s been perfect.View attachment 753443

I bought one of these. I just got back from 10 days diving in FL. I took this to use to charge my 2 Terics.

For some reason, one Teric would charge on it just fine, but the other would not. They both need to be sent off for battery replacements, which I will probably wait to do until after Christmas when mail/shipping seems less likely to lose things. Hopefully, the repair will fix the one so it will charge directly from the Qi pad on the power bank.

So anyway, I got out my standard Teric charging dock and used that, but with the USB cable plugged into this power bank. That turned out (in my opinion) to have a nice, unexpected benefit.

The power bank has a button to turn it on. Without pressing that button, the USB ports on it are not powered. And, after some time with no power being drawn the power bank turns off.

So, I had my Teric charging dock plugged into the power bank, put the Teric in the dock, turned the power bank on, and it would charge the Teric to 100%, then the power bank would eventually time out and turn off. That prevented the Teric from potentially being overcharged and also prevents the power bank from running down unnecessarily, by constantly doing little top-up charges to the Teric.

I bought one of these. I just got back from 10 days diving in FL. I took this to use to charge my 2 Terics.

For some reason, one Teric would charge on it just fine, but the other would not. They both need to be sent off for battery replacements, which I will probably wait to do until after Christmas when mail/shipping seems less likely to lose things. Hopefully, the repair will fix the one so it will charge directly from the Qi pad on the power bank.

So anyway, I got out my standard Teric charging dock and used that, but with the USB cable plugged into this power bank. That turned out (in my opinion) to have a nice, unexpected benefit.

The power bank has a button to turn it on. Without pressing that button, the USB ports on it are not powered. And, after some time with no power being drawn the power bank turns off.

So, I had my Teric charging dock plugged into the power bank, put the Teric in the dock, turned the power bank on, and it would charge the Teric to 100%, then the power bank would eventually time out and turn off. That prevented the Teric from potentially being overcharged and also prevents the power bank from running down unnecessarily, by constantly doing little top-up charges to the Teric.
The QI will also shut down on its own, cheap travel companion.

also prevents the power bank from running down unnecessarily, by constantly doing little top-up charges to the Teric.
Once my stock charger signals 100% (blinking LED), it does not trickle-charge the Teric if left in place.

There have been multiple threads discussing repair and/or replacement service for Shearwater Terics. Nearly always, repair and/or replacement service has been praised for responsiveness and speed.

As, generally, only problems are reported and discussed, the need for service or replacement may be overrepresented by posts on SB. I would like to be able to make an estimate of the frequency for which repair or replacement has been required for Teric owners on SB. The first four responses are meant to apply to a single computer. For instance, my Teric suffered a black screen failure, which was repaired. Shortly after it was returned, AI was lost, they assumed a bad antenna, and the computer was replaced. I checked reply #4, multiple repair and/or replacement.

If you have been unlucky, and have had problems with more than one Teric, check #5, and describe in your post.

Thanks for contributing
So my first teric had a battery drain issue that was fixed quickly by Richard at Dive-Tronix, but weird issue just came up on my second teric. The top left and bottom right input buttons appear ”pushed in” and unable to accept input. Also weirdly, just noticed that the watch will turn itself back on by itself, even when lying on a table untouched. It is my sons computer so not used as much; it’s only about 1.5 years old and has only been on 9 dives (the deepest to 80 fsw).

Anyone have a similar button issue? I’ve emailed for service so will be curious as to what they say.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom