Teric owners, have you required repair or replacement service?

Teric owners, have you required repair or replacemant service?

• No

Votes: 82 45.3%
  • Yes, repair

Votes: 35 19.3%
  • Yes, replacement

Votes: 16 8.8%
  • Yes, multiple repair and/or replacement

Votes: 38 21.0%
  • Other, see post

Votes: 10 5.5%

• Total voters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I've never used an aftermarket Qi charger only the factory "taco" shaped unit. My teric still got so hot it smelled like burning plastic. I have a peregrine charger now, and it seems to be working better..

I have had several battery replacements in both of my Terics. As others have noted, I have generally found the new batteries to hold a charge quite well. Then they degrade over time.

I'm starting to suspect that the problem may not be the batteries. Maybe I (and some of you) have factory, Shearwater-supplied chargers that are "bad" and are slowly killing our batteries over time.

When I get around to sending mine off for new batteries again, I think I'll change to using a different charger than the one I have been using, and see if my batteries last longer next time.

I have had several battery replacements in both of my Terics. As others have noted, I have generally found the new batteries to hold a charge quite well. Then they degrade over time.

I'm starting to suspect that the problem may not be the batteries. Maybe I (and some of you) have factory, Shearwater-supplied chargers that are "bad" and are slowly killing our batteries over time.

When I get around to sending mine off for new batteries again, I think I'll change to using a different charger than the one I have been using, and see if my batteries last longer next time.
For the past several charging cycles I’m only using the solar battery charger, only 1amp, so far it’s been perfect.
964E0D6D-414B-4CD2-BA33-0BEF332187A2.jpeg
CC71AA3B-64CE-45A2-8E61-D4EFD21E2071.jpeg
91C51112-923F-48B2-A747-9B701400621C.jpeg

Hi Stuart,

The degradation pattern you mention is exactly what I have encountered, 3 times now. Have you bounced your hypothesis off of Shearwater or Dive-Tronix?

I have only used a Shearwater charger, probably the same one all along, though I have accumulated 1 or 2 others with my replacements.

For the past several charging cycles I’m only using the solar battery charger, only 1amp, so far it’s been perfect.View attachment 753443View attachment 753444View attachment 753445

How does that work? It is a power bank that will charge the Teric without any available light? The solar panel charges the internal power bank?

I.e. you could charge the power bank during the day, while you're diving, and then use it to charge the Teric at night?

Hi Stuart,

The degradation pattern you mention is exactly what I have encountered, 3 times now. Have you bounced your hypothesis off of Shearwater or Dive-Tronix?

I have only used a Shearwater charger, probably the same one all along, though I have accumulated 1 or 2 others with my replacements.

I have not. I will, the next chance I get.

How does that work? It is a power bank that will charge the Teric without any available light? The solar panel charges the internal power bank?

I.e. you could charge the power bank during the day, while you're diving, and then use it to charge the Teric at night?

I have not. I will, the next chance I get.
It’s a power bank, the solar is more effective at keeping the charge in the bank, it’s a pretty small panel but two charges don’t draw the reserve down much. I was only using the SW charger until I tried this one and my Teric’s have been doing great.
cheap.

This programmable power supply can probably be hooked up to the charging coil and then one can try limiting the supply-side to 0.5A or whatever.

(Aside: how $#@!ing hard is it to fix xenforo's amazon rim jobs, we've only been complaining about since the upgrade.)

My battery performance has continued to degrade even since my last post Teric owners, have you required repair or replacement service?

Now, down to 90% over 2 days and 74% at 5 days.

Shearwater has offered to replace my Teric with a new one, or I can switch to a Perdix 2. I will likely stay with the Teric and hope that the 6th time will be the charm :) I keep hoping that I will only post to this thread with positive follow up.

My battery performance has continued to degrade even since my last post Teric owners, have you required repair or replacement service?

Now, down to 90% over 2 days and 74% at 5 days.

Shearwater has offered to replace my Teric with a new one, or I can switch to a Perdix 2. I will likely stay with the Teric and hope that the 6th time will be the charm :) I keep hoping that I will only post to this thread with positive follow up.
Six times?

I ran into a similar issue with the Teric we gave to our niece -- a swift degradation of the charge; though this is the first time that I had heard of any potential issue with the Shearwater chargers themselves.

Perhaps it is high time for Shearwater to move on from the integral battery design and join the replaceable CR2025 cult.

While there is very little love for Suunto, here on SB, my niece is currently using a spare Cobra 3, while the Teric issue is being straightened out -- and is jazzed that she doesn't have to think about batteries or fickle chargers for a year or more . . .

Six times?

I ran into a similar issue with the Teric we gave to our niece -- a swift degradation of the charge; though this is the first time I had heard of any potential issue with the Shearwater chargers themselves.

Perhaps it is high time for Shearwater to move on from the integral battery design and join the replaceable CR25 cult. While there is very little love for Suunto, here on SB, my niece is currently using a spare Cobra 3, while the Teric issue is straightened out -- and is jazzed that she doesn't have to think about batteries or fickle chargers for a year or more . . .
I think the bright and colorful display that everyone loves would burn through a cr25 in no time.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom