Teric owners, have you required repair or replacement service?

Teric owners, have you required repair or replacemant service?

• No

Votes: 82 45.3%
  • Yes, repair

Votes: 35 19.3%
  • Yes, replacement

Votes: 16 8.8%
  • Yes, multiple repair and/or replacement

Votes: 38 21.0%
  • Other, see post

Votes: 10 5.5%

• Total voters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I've been tracking mine for a few months now. I am seeing 3%-4% a week drop after being serviced (new battery). I was losing about 3% per day before I sent it in.

And they may have fixed it. One would need to look at the production dates on the Terics with battery problems (the only recurring problem I know of) and dates of reporting in the poll. My recent replacement was used on a 2-week dive trip, was charged to 100% after the trip, and still shows 100% after 5 days. They also sent me a loaner just in case the new one they sent me had a problem. They paid postage all directions for the return of my old one, the new one, and the round-trip-for the loaner. Superlative service.
They definitely have had an issue here that, given their reputation, must be of large concern to them.

I had one of the very first batch of Terics and had the unit serviced in Dec ‘19 for battery issues - they pretty much rebuilt the entire unit except the case.

Due to Covid, that Teric sat idle until May ‘21. During that time it held charge quite well in storage, but after dive trips in May and July, I noticed much higher battery drain in storage. It got even worse after a Nov trip and I sent it back in (though never enough drain to cause a problem on a trip - just might have to recharge every night/other night.

It’s now back and it’s been 36 days since last charged and it’s at 90%. Fingers crossed it’s fixed for good. However, it is important to note that “for good” means ~ 5 years as that is the approximate expected life of these batteries.

Also - everything was covers the first time (shipping, etc.,) but I had to pay return shipping to Dive-Tronix this last time. No big deal as shipping is cheap. As usual, Dive-Tronix had quick service with great communication. I suspect they could literally swap batteries with their eyes closed at this point :wink:

I charged my Teric to 100% before storing it in off positions, including the AI & Compass off. I found the battery drained to 5% in 3 weeks. I sent e-mail to Shearwater.com about it and am awaiting their response.

I bought it in January 17, 2021.
I just talked to Richard & Michelle of Dive-Tronix today. They emailed the RMA & I sent it out to them this afternoon with a small USPS box for ~ $10.

Before I sent it off, I checked again its battery since I recharged it to 100% two days ago. It was down to 82%. That is 9% / day.

Then I used its Bluetooth to download my last trip 36 dives to Shearwater Cloud, since they might replace the circuit board during the repair. The downloading job took another 2% juice out of it. So it’s sent out with 80% charge still in it.

So I changed my vote, accordingly.

We’ll see what their diagnosis. It should still be under the 2 years warranty.

I bought my Teric in 2018 in one of the original releases. In 2019 I had the battery replaced under warranty. A few weeks ago I sent the Teric in to Dive-Tronix to have the battery replaced, fully prepared to pay for the maintenance service. The battery was replaced, and some other upgrade work including replacing the chassis due to stripped screws. It was returned to me at no charge. When I thanked Dive-Tronix they replied that Shearwater had allowed them to do the service under warranty because the 2019 battery should have lasted longer than it did.

When I thanked Dive-Tronix they replied that Shearwater had allowed them to do the service under warranty because the 2019 battery should have lasted longer than it did.
Wow. I sure wish Shearwater made an automobile.

My second Teric came back from Dive-tronix today. One week door to door, and about 60 hours from the test dive until it was in my mailbox. When the USPS is operating smoothly, it really is nice service... though they are a nightmare when they are having delays like weather issues.

This time it wasn't the battery but the circuit board. They also replaced the battery too; along with the case because the buttons were sticking with a note to soak it after a salt water dive. What is salt water?
:rofl3:

So basically replaced the whole computer except the bezel and glass.

I did my usual configuration, applied a new screen protector that was included as mine was scratched like mad, and put my Perdix band on it. I will dive it tomorrow.

But I found a new bug/issue. My other Teric, I'll call it primary after a dive gave me a yellow tissues warning at the end of the dive while doing surface deco/debreif a couple of weeks ago. I talked with Ivan at Shearwater and he suggested updating it to v22 since it was still on v19. I did that and it hasn't happened again. But last week the loaner that was provided while backup was at Dive-tronix, gave me a red "System error tissues reset" warning when I went to download the dive later that evening.

So even if the battery draw issues is figured out, I found a new way to break them. These warnings aren't really a big deal for me, I just do one long deco dive each week, so I'm not overly concerned. And I have a general idea of what deco I need even if it resets underwater, all I need is a watch/timer.

what would consumer reports say?
1649720998794.png

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom