Teric not Accepted as Primary Dive Computer?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I just finished Trimix a few days ago with John Chatterton. I did what *should* have been done before this point in this thread: I asked him. .

Your righteous scolding would have more impact if it was accurate...I asked him and posted the response in post #19 two weeks ago.

I’ve never met an instructor with such an obvious history of experience who was more open to new or different things than John. If he had experience with it, he would ask you why you did or didn’t do something, then tell you his thoughts, then ask you to decide what *you* were going to do and why. If he didn’t have experience, his comment was usually something like, “let’s see what it looks like on the next dive.”

This is very much my experience too, and it's one of the best things about training with JC.

There have recently been two hot threads about his methods, and many people who have never met John (let alone trained with him) being very critical and indignant. But in this field where massive egos are everywhere, it's refreshing to meet someone with vast experience who is always willing to learn, even from his students. Many "scuba god" instructors with a fraction of JC's experience will quickly let you know that it's their way or the highway.

I just read this whole thread.

Can someone tell me what data you can configure a Petrel to display that you cannot have displayed on a Teric?

I just read this whole thread.

Can someone tell me what data you can configure a Petrel to display that you cannot have displayed on a Teric?

You can't change GF Hi - it's part of his teaching. During deco on all the dives, there is a lot of flash card work relating to your computer - evaluate this, evaluate that. Deco isn't a time to relax in his class..... I can tell you first hand that by the fourth dive, you try hiding behind others or turning away from him when those dang cards came out.

I don't remember if the teric easily downloads to Shearwater desktop either, all dives were evaluated with Shearwater desktop.

You can't change GF Hi - it's part of his teaching. During deco on all the dives, there is a lot of flash card work relating to your computer - evaluate this, evaluate that. Deco isn't a time to relax in his class..... I can tell you first hand that by the fourth dive, you try hiding behind others or turning away from him when those dang cards came out.

Very interesting. I'll admit that I'm quite intrigued, as it sounds like JC has some unique ways of teaching. Unique enough to put him on the list of instructors from whom I'd like to receive training.

I don't remember if the teric easily downloads to Shearwater desktop either, all dives were evaluated with Shearwater desktop.

Pretty sure it is the same as any other Shearwater, though I don't own one. My preference is for Perdix AIs for more information to be displayed at a time.

I don't remember if the teric easily downloads to Shearwater desktop either, all dives were evaluated with Shearwater desktop
It downloads exactly the same way. Quite quick and simple.

I asked what info you can display on a Petrel that you can’t display on a Teric. Maybe I’m missing something, but I am unable to discern the answer from your response.

Would you happen to be able to post a picture of a Petrel screen configured the way JC has you set it up? Maybe that would help.

Pretty sure it is the same as any other Shearwater, though I don't own one. My preference is for Perdix AIs for more information to be displayed at a time.

I don’t understand. The Teric can show MORE data on the screen at one time than a Petrel can. Unless I am missing something...?

I don’t understand. The Teric can show MORE data on the screen at one time than a Petrel can. Unless I am missing something...?

I don’t believe that anyone disagrees with you. Displaying certain/more information on the screen was not a reason given for not using the Teric. Difference in interface was, but not amount of information.

As for how Mr. Chatterton set up his screen, he wants so much info on the screen that he needs *two*. Which is fine with him: the way he dives, a computer is a critical device for life support, so he wants two anyway, so you might as well display different data on them! :)

On a slightly different note, the size and readability of the Teric screen has been mentioned. Objectively, the Teric screen is smaller. Shearwater states that because of its sharpness the Teric is actually more readable, and some users agree. Others have actually sold Terics or given them to spouses in order to go to the larger screen of a Perdix. That has nothing to do with the amount/type of info the Teric can display, but how readable that info is certainly is a concern for some.

I don’t believe that anyone disagrees with you. Displaying certain/more information on the screen was not a reason given for not using the Teric. Difference in interface was, but not amount of information.

My question was based on these posts:

That's bizarre. That text is in all of these courses too:
View attachment 550133

In order to prevent speculation I e-mailed Chatterton this morning to inquire as to why he establishes this requirement. He was extremely quick on the response and very open to the question. He gave me permission to paraphrase his response on SB as to the reason he does not allow the Teric as a primary. in his classes.

1. The Teric does not allow you to change GF High while diving, while the Perdix and Petrel do.
2. The larger screen size of the Perdix and Petrel allow you to see more data on the screen without having to scroll screens to see other data elements.

Maybe I need to articulate my question more clearly.

What is the set of data that you can put on a Perdix screen (to see without scrolling) that you cannot put on a Teric screen (to see without scrolling)?

What is the set of data that you can put on a Perdix screen (to see without scrolling) that you cannot put on a Teric screen (to see without scrolling)?

That confuses me as well. When the Teric is set to standard mode the only thing that isn't on the screen that would be with the Perdix is that little tank icon above the pressure, which is just a visual indicator of how full your tank is.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom