Teric not Accepted as Primary Dive Computer?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

How so? I suspect you might be thinking that the comment could be saying to look at that difference in preference to (or to heavily influence) Stop depths?

I assumed that the range (30-40) would be something that aligned with Stop depths. Especially given the perceived calibre of the person making the comment.

I mean simply this: My expectation would be that an untrained person would not be able to explain what the 30-40 number means and why you want it to be in the 30-40 range, instead of, say, the 70-80 range.

Which means that you then potentially have a person making decisions about their ascent based on something they don't understand and have no real training on. Generally speaking, I am an advocate for people doing things the way they were trained. And, in particular, NOT for doing things based on an off-the-cuff generalization that they were told but don't REALLY understand all the Whys and Wherefores behind it.

I'm not saying you in particular are an issue with incorporating that advice into your diving. That is why I said "an untrained person COULD get in trouble."

It strikes me that there are clear reasons for this unusual requirement, and he supplies an easy workaround at likely cost price to him. And he's upfront about it, which is respectful.

His odd requirements are directly linked to his unique course content and student outcomes. He's not forcing me to buy gear that I don't want, that is what would make me resentful. I could have non-conforming computers, be it Teric, Eon, Genius etc, yet still do the course (without having to buy anything), and then integrate what I've learned into my own diving.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom