Teric not Accepted as Primary Dive Computer?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

drainaps

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Good afternoon,

While researching the internet looking for an advanced wreck course, I've come across the following statement from someone who organizes those:

"You also will need a backup computer or depth gauge. The Teric is okay for backup, but not acceptable as a Primary as it does not give you all the dive data of the Perdix/Petrel."

Have I missed something? I've been Tec diving with primary and secondary Terics for some time and I'm scratching my head over this statement.

Safe dives all.

Actually that was my first-order reaction but then I thought I might be missing something, hence my post. I have to say the rest of the write-up in the page where I found this seemed quite opinionated as well, so I guess this is in line with everything else. Good to know!

That's bizarre. That text is in all of these courses too:

Screen Shot 2019-11-15 at 9.22.57 pm.png

Screen Shot 2019-11-15 at 9.21.04 pm.png

Exactly which course is it? Specifically barring the Teric sounds like claptrap.

As far as I know it runs the same software as the perdix and petrel (which are my backup and main computer respectively).

I'm confused as to why most of you are defending the Teric but not taking exception to the requirement for a Shearwater in the first place.

I'm confused as to why most of you are defending the Teric but not taking exception to the requirement for a Shearwater in the first place.
If they’re downloading the dive data and discussing it in classroom afterwards, they need to standardize on something. Shearwater makes a good computer and is better than most about software openness. It’s slightly sketchy they’re encouraging students to use their computer rental fleet, depending on how much they milk that, but it does have a fig-leaf of justification.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom