"Temporary" Guidelines at Dutch Springs?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Trace Malinowski

Training Agency President
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
5000 - ∞
Does anyone know who placed all of the "temporary" #24 nylon line just about everywhere in Dutch Springs that are currently running among many of the unmarked attractions? The lines are well run with good wraps, placements, tie-off's etc., but there are no identifying spools or reels left in place. Instead, the lines have been "permanently" tied off once one reaches the end.

I've been asked to remove hundreds of feet of this line by Dutch Springs staff members at the earliest opportunity. If this is someone's project in creating headings and distances between attractions and points of interest, please let me know. Otherwise, I'll have lots of line for students to use on bolt snaps and for me to use on some aging spools.

The permanent novice lines at Dutch Springs will always take students or new divers to attractions that have ascent lines. The staff doesn't want lines that may lead students and new divers to deeper attractions where the diver will not have access to a secure ascent line.

When I leave guidelines or descent/ascent lines in the lake, I normally ask permission. In the past, Stu was okay with line being left in for the weekend or for a few days if the need was valid. A couple lines have been left in the lake in the past for extended time periods to help experienced divers locate some hidden treasures so to speak, but the current lines are kind of obnoxious in number and distance.

Besides, the new challenge when teaching navigation is to find something that isn't marked by a line where students can't now cheat!

So, if anyone knows anything about these lines and a reason I shouldn't cut them and retrieve them, shoot me a PM or reply here. Thanks!

Last edited:
I haven't removed the lines, yet, due to running a PSAI advanced nitrox course while Dutch Springs was still open for the Fall season. But, I will do so at the earliest opportunity. If any skilled divers are diving during instructor weekends, the New Year's dive, or after hours with Dutch staff, please feel free to remove any white guidelines. Stu asked me to reiterate that placing permanent guidelines is problematic for safety and liability. Please do not add guidelines to the lake. The novice lines that are permanently in place are there for the safety of divers - especially the newbies. It is okay to run lines for practice, training or classes, but it is preferred that these be removed immediately or by the end of the day. If you need to leave line in the water overnight, for a weekend, or for any purpose in which the line won't be promptly retrieved, please check with Stu, Kevin, Andrea or the lakeside dive staff. Thanks!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom