Temperatures for Wetsuits.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Lost_At_Sea

Contributor
Reaction score
This might sound like a dumb question, but at what different temperatures are wetsuits supposed to be used. Like, when should you wear a 3mm as opposed to a 7mm and etc. I have been diving for a few years now and I still dont know this question. Thanks.

Well, you wear the 7mm when you get cold in the 3mm.

I know, kinda of a smart butt answer.

But there are no set temperatures at which one is "supposed to wear an Xmm wet suit . . .".

The thermal protection to be used by a diver is predicated solely by that particular diver's personal thermal requirements.

In 65 degree water some divers need no more than 3mm, and some divers need 5mm.

If you ever have the opportunity, observe the macho divers who run about in a braggadocio manner exclaiming that they "don't need no stinkin wet suit" on their second or third dives. Watch how they move. Watch how they react.

Wear what YOU need.

I depends upon you.

the K

I agree with Kraken.

Here is a example that it is different for each person. My dive buddy wears a full 5mm suite for most dive and I have full 4/3. In 50 degree water we get cold about the sametime.

When I bought my wetsuite I asked my LDS what siute will keep comfortable for the diving in my area, which is how I ended up with the 4/3.

Last time I was in the Carribean there was a thin rail of a young girl wearing AT LEAST 7 mil. She was shivering, pleading with her father to buy her a drysuit.

I like a 3mm from 78-82, a 5mm from 68-77 and I usually won't dive in water under 68 F. :D

jyabroff:
I agree with Kraken.

Here is a example that it is different for each person. My dive buddy wears a full 5mm suite for most dive and I have full 4/3. In 50 degree water we get cold about the sametime.

When I bought my wetsuite I asked my LDS what siute will keep comfortable for the diving in my area, which is how I ended up with the 4/3.
Dang, I'm freezing my cahones off in a 7mm when the temp gets below 52F.

Ive used a wet suit down to about 48 degrees but wouldn't recommend it, got kinda cold :wink:

Thanks for all the opinions. I never really knew what temps called for what mill. and what people prefer.

I was diving in the Philippines last week with a couple of professional photographers who also frequent this board. The water temp was between 78 and 80, one was wearing a 7mm full, one had a 5mm full and I had a 2.5mm shortie and was still warm. You can see the range so my advice is the same as The Kraken's.

Girlie men they are...:D

I agree with Kraken as well, but I would also add that it can vary for you from dive to dive.

Here's an example, I was in Dominican Republic in February for a couple of weeks. In the beginning, I was diving wearing a 1mm suit and completely comfortable. After about a week, I had become pretty used to the 80 degree water and eventually had to add a 5mm jacket and I was getting cold on the second dive of the day even with that by the end of the two weeks.

I can dive to the upper 40s in a 7mm with the jacket normally, but if I've been away (from my home in Maine) diving in warm water, when I come back, I need to dive in my dry suit.

So, while it varies from diver to diver, it also varies for each diver from dive to dive. The one thing to remember is it is better to err on the side of being a little too warm rather than too cold, especially in colder water.

Jeff

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom