Temperatures for Wetsuits.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I'm lucky because my LDS rents drysuits. Don't have to buy if for $1000+ but can rent. They use DUI zipseals to let more people use them.

newbie-in-fl:
Form: your body shape will also matter. Those with more/less body
fat would need a thinner/thicker suit.

This is a huge wildcard depending on the individual.

A larger diver may have the advantage of some natural insullation. However they also have greater surface area with which to disperse heat. In some cases that diver is larger due to a less actuive metabolism which results in less expendable body heat.

Pete

As a thin diver I ever dive with my 5mm wetsuit. The water here in Salvador/Brazil is about 28°C during the almost entire year and the 5mm is perfect to me at any kind of weather. I weigth 48Kg and heigth 1,69m, a BMI (Body Mass Index) of 16,8 Kg/m²!!!

WETSUIT THICKNESS TABLE

In colder water, wear a thicker wet suit to prevent chill and hypothermia. The chart below gives average recommendations for wet suit thickness for water temperatures. The ranges overlap depending on individual body heat and comfort; some divers may be more comfortable in a lighter suit, while others may appreciate a thicker neoprene.

Temperature Suit Thickness*
76°F - 86°F 1/16" (1.6mm) neoprene or lycra
69°F - 84°F 1/8" (3mm) neoprene
64°F - 77°F 3/16" (5mm) neoprene
49°F - 75°F 1/4" (6.5mm) neoprene
33°F - 66°F 3/8" (9.5mm) neoprene, drysuit
* based on average manufacturer recommendations

I hope this helps.

Some of you are gonna slam me for this, but one thing that I observed is that if you smoke then you get cold easier. I think it is a circulation thing. Lungs are not working to full capacity so circulation is not as efficient so therefore you get cold easier.

I am a non-smoker and I dove many times in 4-6 degree C water in a 7mil wetsuit (farmer john with jacket) and I was not cold at all until I got out and the wind and air temperature started really cooling me off.

I have a dry suit now and I would not be too thrilled about going back to a wet suit simply for the out-of-water experience. I hope to dive some day in a tropical locale where swim trunks would be warm enough for a shallow reef dive :)

TheRedHead:
I usually won't dive in water under 68 F. :D

I hardly get to dive in water warmer than 68.

The answer to the original question is you can't get by with only one wetsuit. :D

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom