Temperatures for Wetsuits.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

We did our OW cert dives in Lake George, NY in the third weekend in May this year. There were 4 of us in the class, all wearing 7mm Farmer Johns. Three of us were fine and the fourth did get a little chilly. Water temps were around the mid 40's.

The worst part was getting out! It was cloudy, lightly raining and air temp of about 50 degrees. It made for a long, cold ride back to the dock.

We did 5 dives over the Memorial Day weekend in the same lake. Water temp was about the same but the air temps were in the 70 - low 80 range. Still comfortable, this time in a 7MM jumpsuit. After the first little trickle of cold water down the back upon entry the rest of the dives were fine.
I never got cold but I was pretty wiped out!

I wear a 3mm in water warmer than 76 degrees. If it's any colder, I put on another 3mm shorty over top. It works for me.

hi all
i dive in a dry suit mostly but then water temp here never gets above 62 F 16 C west coast of ireland when i'm somewhere warmer canaries or carribean then i opt for a semidry 6.5mm and i find it fine i know it sounds like over kill in warm water mid 70 F 24-26 C but what people forget is that you will never overheat in the water if it is below 98 F as every thing else is below body temp you just gotta get out of your suit as soon as you get back on board . the semidry also comes in handy when the drysuit goes in for repair

The coldest I've dove was 58, I had a spring suit (shorty) and a 3mm full suit. If your taking pictures it's best not to have to shiver. My suit is a Xcel, super stretchy and sealed; great for surfing and diving. I can't stand the stiffness of the wetsuits the y sell for diving.

I normally won't go for a suit unless it is below 78, or maybe on the second or third dive of the day. Thermal rashguard and baggies for Roatan.

As others have mentioned peoples thermal tolerance can vary significantly so any discussion of what suit for what temperature is open to way too much debate, with everyone being right for themself and wrong for others. but here's my take (without numbers)

3mm or less: appropriate for water temps you are happy to swim in for extended without insulation

5mm: good for water temps you might be willing to take a quick dip

7mm: for water you do not want to get in without insulation

dry:good for ant temp above 3mm

Another factor is the frequency of your diving. For instance if I go to a destination where the water is 78-82 Deg F I'll wear my 3/2 full suit and be nice and warm for one day of diving. But if I am diving in this water temp for a week 2-4 times a day I'll wear a 5mm full suit. After a few days of frequent diving your core temp drops and you will get cold even in 78-82 deg F water.

c555:
Ive used a wet suit down to about 48 degrees but wouldn't recommend it, got kinda cold :wink:

I've dove to about 38F in a john/jacket 7mm, but was VERY cold. Yet I've dove with other people who regularly dive 42F in the same configuration, and are comfortable.

Depends on the individual (age, make, fit, etc.) as well as the wetsuit (age, make, fit, etc.).

- ChillyWaters

I can tolerate a short dive at 58 degrees in a full 7mm wetsuit/hood.

Scubar:
Another factor is the frequency of your diving. For instance if I go to a destination where the water is 78-82 Deg F I'll wear my 3/2 full suit and be nice and warm for one day of diving. But if I am diving in this water temp for a week 2-4 times a day I'll wear a 5mm full suit. After a few days of frequent diving your core temp drops and you will get cold even in 78-82 deg F water.

Really? Do you have any links?

Scubar:

I agree with you 100%. Frequency is a factor, as is temperature.

I know a dive master who wears a hooded 7mm suit in 78 degree water because he dives several times a day, almost every day, and gets cold. I'd do the same. It would wear me down to be cold day after day.

Back
Top Bottom