Tell the truth ....

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

here in cold murky, current swept California, a SMB is absolutely mandatory, along with a compass. I will soon be switching to a Halcyon 80 lb lift bag stowed along my backplate for certain dives though.

BTW, i learned the hard way what it's like to be drifting 2000 feet from the boat without a signaling device some time ago off the coast of Borneo. T'wasn't fun, and i bought the sausage barely 24 hours after i got back to the states.

There is a whisle atached to the BCD but it isn't very laud. I own a safety sausage (some 4 ft) and used it mostly in Palay where they are madatory (It's a loooooong drift to Indonesia). These days I'll only use in local waters if we are not carring a surface buyo and that will be on deeper wrecks which I don't do very often.

Furthermore, I'm doing a CMAS *** education at the moment were dive leading and checkin of the divers gear are a part. Similar to the PADI body-check. When you do that check you should also check for appropiate signalling device!

DSAO

I've never had either, though I realize that I'm at risk. So, inspired by this post I just bought a loud whistle and I'll order a sausage ASAP.

Thanks Posters,

Aloha,

JOnathan

I carry a sausage and whistle, both attached to my BC.
Last year, a research solo diver (collecting sponges off Port Vila, Vanuatu) surfaced some 1km from the boat and was unable to attract the captain's attention. Two hours later, just as a search plane was airborne, the captain found the diver (now less tank!) a further 3kms away in the deep blue Pacific Ocean!!!

I know this may be obvious to some, but when buying a whistle, make sure it has a plastic "pea" inside it rather then a cork one. I had a shop sale person try to sell me one with a cork, and didn't realize that the cork would swell in the water rendering it useless.
I would also go for the high pitched ones. They cost more, but when my hubby tried his cheaper one, it didn't carry more then a few feet.

I have my whistle clipped to my front dive suit zipper, so that I have it weather I am diving or snorkeling. In fact, everyone who has seen pics from my hubby's and my trip to Key West, always remark about the whistles.

As for the tank bonker, I find it, or another method for knocking on your tank useful to get people's attention. -Starfish

the necessity of one depends on your dive area.

i always have a whistle and beyond that i carry whatever is appropriate for the dive.

Got the storm whistle because they say you could hear it under water. Well maybe. Haven't been to any place that a sausage would do me any good so I dont have one YET.

Someone mentioned signaling mirrors.....

If carrying a mirror sounds like a good idea to you, here's a recycling tip you can use....

Before you run out to purchase a signal mirror (or mug your local boy scout), consider re-using one of those old AOL 7.0 CD's. The shiney side is perfect for reflecting sunlight, and you can even look through the hole to aim the reflection!

I'm a new diver, and I'll admit I don't have any signaling devices. I've only dove twice in the ocean, and I was a little nervous about not being able to find the anchor line when it was time to start heading up. Fortunately, by buddy knew right where it was. So I signed up for the navigation class and will get a sausage, whistle, and some other stuff soon. I won't go back out in that big ocean without again!

It's funny that they didn't cover signaling devices in the OW class :eek:. And they did very little navigation...

Back
Top Bottom