tell me what is this that happened to me

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

rastarigo

Reaction score
hitting 90 feet for the first time, i suddenly experienced this. my vision got blurred until i saw nothing but darkness around me, i was gasping chasing my breath like i was on the trail of death, i grabbed my buddy in the chest (he told me later i was pulling his reg off his mouth but as far as i know i didn't) to catch his attention and tell him i was feeling extremely abnormal (at this point, he was already a glimmer to me as i signalled him that we should go up), he didn't want to so i finned away from him and started my unbroken ascent to the surface. i was blind all throughout as i finned back to the surface like i was traversing on the river of death. i really thought i was gonna die there as i blindly finned back to the surface laboriously and desperately. i didn't feel anything unusual after i surfaced and saw the sun which i thought i would never see again. did i do wrong like my sudden ascent? this experience is soooo weird it scared the daylights out of me and felt like quitting. take note this happened to me 10 minutes into the dive.

Call DAN
See an MD
Don't dive until you have done those two.
Rick

and if you get medical clearance to continue diving find a new buddy....

HOLY CRAP!!!

Something was very very wrong for that to happen. It sure doesn't sound like any of the "normal" things that go wrong. My first guess, being totally unencumbered with any medical knowledge is that you were losing consciousness. There can be a number of reasons for this, hypoxia, hypercapnia, an oxygen toxicity event, extremely high blood pressure, contaminated air, suit too tight and probably a few other things.

Are you absolute sure of the tank contents? What was in it?

R..

Rick's advice is good.

It may have been a number of things from bad gas (e.g. some toxic contaminant in your backgas - carbon monoxide, toluene, etc.) that resulted in hypoxia and the other symptoms you reported, to some malady unique to your physiology, to a severe case of narcosis and associated anxiety, to any combination of these.

In order to try to diagnose your situation, you're going to need to first start eliminating some variables and see afterwards which ones you have left.

For starters, try opening the valve of your scuba tank and try smelling the air that comes out. If it smells strange, hang on to the tank and have that air tested:
http://thedecostop.com/forums/showthread.php?t=10483&highlight=bad+gas+compressor+filter

Very serious situation!

First, Call Dan.

Second, Make sure you have a full physical. Preferably from a doctor who dives. Be sure to have an EKG by someone who knows what they are looking at!

Third, if you choose to go diving again, NEW DIVE BUDDY!!!!!

Remember, advice here is just that! SEE A DOCTOR.

You didn't state your age or physical condition. I'm sure all of us here would like to know just what happened to you.

Please be sure to take the time to let us know.

Thanks.

Back
Top Bottom