tell me what is this that happened to me

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I agree with everyone else re contacting DAN..Also, please do check the tanks you were using. I recently had problems with mine being completely contaminated... and they were supposedly in vis...

There were a lot of them in that dive. Could it possible that only one out of more than 40 tanks was contaminated?

boljakool:
They have a DM. In fact there were more DMs on that dive as they all wanted to catch a glimpse of the rumored mantas in Mainit. Would have wanted to join them in the boat, but I had to be assigned with another group. They did not see the rays. Jigo's group spotted the Japanese Devil Rays later that day on the same dive site.

yup there was a sudden downcurrent that sent our computers beeping. we were forced to abort the dive. the current swept us way out into the channel beyong mainit point. maybe there should be a rule as to how many dives you need before you can do mainit, bahura and beatrice.

gitterdun:
I recently had problems with mine being completely contaminated... and they were supposedly in vis...
What do you mean, "contaminated?" Usually that word means the gas in the tank has contaminants like oil or carbon or carbon monoxide or CO2 in it from a compressor or compressor intake problem. This has nothing to do with a visual inspection, as it can occur on any given fill.
If by "completely contaminated" you mean "badly corroded," then most likely salt water was introduced into the tank by bad fill procedures, and that can happen a lot faster than a whole year... so again, the visual inspection is no guarantee against poor practices at the fill station.
Rick

bahura, mainit & beatrice...i agree that you should have more dives under your belt. it can really get stressful at those sites.

@rasta: have you consulted a DAN rep yet? we have the numbers here in the PPD threads as a sticky

@mods: should this thread be moved to another section? what do you think?

The only clean up place in Mainit is at the 15-25 feet level, just before the drop-off. You start from east to west (90ft-110ft mound) and ascend just before you hit the drop-off or the abyss. Dm's shouldn't bring divers just coming out of OW check out dives. The down current is much worse than Canyons, PG IMHO. They don't call that Mainit (Hot) Point for nothing.

jonix:
wait a sec? you did a cleanup dive at mainit?! :11: did anyone think of the risk doing cleanup there?

nobody would be crazy enough to do a clean up in mainit. it was not a clean up dive they did there. the clean up was just on the 16th. this happened on the 17th, which is a fun dive day. :wink:

boljakool:
nobody would be crazy enough to do a clean up in mainit. it was not a clean up dive they did there. the clean up was just on the 16th. this happened on the 17th, which is a fun dive day. :wink:

ah oki, thanks for the clarification penn.

@ish: :rofl3: :rofl3: :rofl3: :rofl3:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom