Tell me about the SP Mk2 R195

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

pepperbelly

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I took my Oceanic reg set to have it serviced before my cruise dive trip and the tech found that it was cracked and had serious corrosion from not having been properly serviced in several years. I bought it used a year and a half ago and was told by the shop I bought it from that they had just serviced it.
My console gauges and hoses are OK, but the first stage, second stage and octo are not serviceable.

I need new regs. A LDS recommended a ScubaPro Mk2 with an R195 second stage and R095 octo. He offered to let me use them on my dives and if I like them I can buy them.

I do not dive cold water under 50*, will probably never go deeper than 100', and don't do a large number of dives.
This reg set is a basic set but from reading seems to be solid and reliable.
For about $400.00 for the full set including octo is there a better option in this price range?

It's an extremely simple reliable regulator set. The R190 et al is a basic downstream 2nd stage that works fine, not the smoothest breather in the world, but rock solid. The MK2 first stage is a bulletproof unbalanced piston that performs very well and will last a long time.

If you are interested in a used SP regulator, I have a few that I'm selling shortly; a MK20/G250 for $250, and I could add a R190 octo for a small extra cost, I also have a MK10/G200B that I'd like to sell. Maybe $150 for that one. These are all serviced by me, (not a certified tech, but lots of experience) in excellent condition, and they are higher performing regs than the MK2/R190. Send me a pm if you're interested.

If you want to stay new and on a budget, the MK2/R190 is a good choice.

ScubaPro Mk2 with an R195 second stage and R095 octo

Solid equipment no doubt. Not the highest performance but very solid and reliable indeed. We use it as part of dive school's training equipment fleet.

I took my Oceanic reg set to have it serviced before my cruise dive trip and the tech found that it was cracked and had serious corrosion from not having been properly serviced in several years. I bought it used a year and a half ago and was told by the shop I bought it from that they had just serviced it.

Lack of proper service does not cause corrosion. That is caused by a lack of proper user care.

Lack of proper service does not cause corrosion. That is caused by a lack of proper user care.

I have about 12 dives on it- all in fresh water. It was supposedly rebuilt a year and a half ago.
The tech said the corrosion was from salt water, and there was no way it had been serviced in the last 5-6 years.

I have about 12 dives on it- all in fresh water. It was supposedly rebuilt a year and a half ago.
The tech said the corrosion was from salt water, and there was no way it had been serviced in the last 5-6 years.

take it back to the shop you bought it from and get them to refund and/or replace them...

tbone, I thought about going back to them but decided against it. It wouldn't accomplish anything other than stirring things up. They would not admit that they didn't service them when I bought them- even though they had me wait a month until they "rebuilt" them.

BTW the corrosion is on the threads, and it is a pretty good amount.

You should not pass up the opportunity to allow the shop to make this right. Or to collect their just reward should they decline.

tbone, I thought about going back to them but decided against it. It wouldn't accomplish anything other than stirring things up. They would not admit that they didn't service them when I bought them- even though they had me wait a month until they "rebuilt" them.

BTW the corrosion is on the threads, and it is a pretty good amount.

Here's the ethical dilemma. If they don't make it right, it is your duty to go onto every place possible and write a scathing review about what happened in order to prevent anyone else from getting scammed by them. If you don't, you are part of the problem. You also have an obligation to report them to AUP for improper service of their regulators. That said, if you don't give them the chance to make it right, then you are in an ethical dilemma of not allowing them to right their wrong.

do what you want, but if you don't publicize this shop, which you have been complaining about for a month on this forum, and someone else gets ripped off by them, you are partially at fault for not trying to prevent it.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom