Tell me about Genesis regs.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

@Eric Sedletzky that was actually my first regulator set and it's still going strong with one of my students. Has gone about 9 years and probably 700 dives without service since we are trying to see what it will do. It still breathes well and is showing no signs of IP creep or anything, really a nifty little regulator. Not one that I would invest in now given the relative obscurity of the reg, but it is actually quite nifty as @rsingler pointed out

Well, this is great!
I’ll let him know that this reg is still serviceable and not a bad reg to use since he already has it and only intends to do moderate diving with it.
It probably a better reg than the Aeris anyway.
I suppose he could pick up a pretty nice balanced 2nd stage somewhere to put on it since the niceness of breathing effort is all about the 2nd. Maybe a used G250 or something. Sounds like the 2000 that’s on it is pretty mediocre and could be delegated to be the octo.
Maybe later he can look at something nicer but this should get him by for now.

I've worked on those oddball 1st stages, it is an interesting concept but I found the schrader valve mechanism to be a bit of a complexity that I didn't like. Theoretically its a cool idea but practically speaking, for every day diving, I wouldn't bother with one. I guess if you had a supply of those schrader valves and the tool to extract them (I seem to remember something about needing a special tool, but I could be wrong) then it would be ok.

I'm just a simple man with simple regulator requirements. :D

the gs2000 comes with an adjustment knob iirc, which lets you tune it a bit lighter, so replacement with a balanced 2nd isn't as crucial.
Yeah that’s right, it’s an adjustable non balanced simple poppet. The only way the adjustment knob would do you any good would be if you tuned the reg with the knob turned all the way in, and it would hiss if you turned it all the way out. You would start the dive with it in and as the IP went down you would manually keep adjusting it out to keep the breathing easy. Kind of a poor man’s balanced second.
May as well just get a real balanced second stage.

Back
Top Bottom