Tell me about Genesis regs.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Eric Sedletzky

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
This is a continuation from another post I have going about a buddy with Aeris regs.

So, I have his two sets of Aeris regs in my shop and I was going to check them out and see if they have any life in them because parts are apparently no longer available. I was set to tell him he needs to get new regs and I was going to suggest Scubapro because they seem to be the most stable and established company out there.

Then he tells me today that he has two full back up sets of older Genesis regs for himself and his wife.
I have those in my shop now too.
Can somebody please tell me what they are? He told me they are rebranded Sherwoods, is this correct? Or is this another one of those obscure brands that has been swallowed up and is obsolete.
The only place I have ever seen this brand for sale was Leisure Pro several years back. I have never seen Genesis in any dive shop.
Are service kits available for these regs?
Thank you

which genesis regs are they? Pics please

Sherwood, Genesis, Akona, and a few others are part of the same "group", think Huish type group. Depending on the model they should still be available

They are marketing themselves as the "cheapest" brand out there. Sherwood based cheap brand.

Regulators & Octos - Genesis Scuba

(Your friend really knows how to pick them)

CB852520-101C-4470-A918-A844118E8AB0.jpeg
967B7D1C-E80E-45CC-933A-06336649C51E.jpeg
33D13594-29AB-4BE7-8D4A-C9F631D9737B.jpeg

The Genesis 2000 is one of the most underrated regs on the market! It's got no following, but that doesn't mean the technology isn't there.
The 2nd stage is an Oceanic style downstream with a spring behind the poppet. Meh.

But the first! It's called D.A.D., or Dry Air Demand. It's a Sherwood flow-by design with Belleville washers. That's a unique balancing system in itself. But the cool part is an environmental seal that uses an ambient diaphragm to trigger a Schrader valve to match ambient. No goop to fill in the chamber like Atomic. Flow isn't obstructed, because it's a flowby piston with LP takeoffs adjacent to the seat.
IMG_20210802_234519.jpg

It's solid and reliable. Absent an ANSTI machine, a diver couldn"t tell. I've kept mine for a decade.

I've kept mine for a decade.

What haven't you kept in your museum?

I am very sorry but I have to disagree with you here, it is a piece of crap in all aspects. I have called up my former expert tech. in the US and he confirmed to me the same impression I had. My expert tech. was manager of warranty and service department for one of the biggest dive regulator makers in the world before he retired. He worked for me in my dive center for 10 years.

If I had this regulator, I'd get rid of it and buy something new like the MK11/C370 or the Atomic Z2.

I’m completely with Rob.

That D.A.D type of 1st is underrated.

But it seems it also convinced Sherwood, who implemented that system in their product line in 2010 with their new 9…… 1st stage Series and dropped the old Dry Bleed system.

It works very well, the only point to consider is that one should inspect the vent valve and the Schrader Valve from time to time, because if that doesn’t seal perfect and water enters the space under the cap ( especially salt water), pretty fast the Schrader Valve will corrode badly leaving the depth compensation mechanism failing.

Problem is you will find out pretty late……

But that problem had Sherwood as well with their 1sts when salt residues or dirt where blocking the Sinter Filter or the Flow Restrictor Screw.

I had Brut SRB9110 1sts (Fleet Regs) on my workbench where the Schrader Valves had so much disintegrated that I had quite some problems to remove the remains and install a new Schrader Valve.

Luckily the dives conducted with those regs had not been deeper than 10-13m.

Apart from that I like technically that Dry 1st system a lot.

I guess the balancing of 1sts with Belleville spring shims comes originally from Sherwood, I found it first on the Ultima Reg from 1990.

Couldn’t say for Genesis since I have Catalogues only from 2008 on and Manuals only from 1997 on.

What haven't you kept in your museum?

I am very sorry but I have to disagree with you here, it is a piece of crap in all aspects. I have called up my former expert tech. in the US and he confirmed to me the same impression I had. My expert tech. was manager of warranty and service department for one of the biggest dive regulator makers in the world before he retired. He worked for me in my dive center for 10 years.

If I had this regulator, I'd get rid of it and buy something new like the MK11/C370 or the Atomic Z2.

Sorry to disagree, but I doubt that your expert tech was talking about that particular 'Dry' 1st Mechanism or he didn't understand it.
Would it maybe possible that he could elaborate on his opinion?
For the things I've seen and worked on I would not recommend that type of 1st as fleet reg ( I also wouldn't recommend the D- Series as fleet regs, even when they are excellent 2nds), but for me they are good 'dry' 1sts, which you can find for decent money in the bay.
I must admit that the service kits are a bit more expensive than other models, because you are supposed to change quite a lot of parts during the revision.

Attachments

• Genesis DAD Gr400.pdf
    75.2 KB · Views: 91

Back
Top Bottom