http://www.diveheart.org/

Tell Congress: Don't Abandon Pets In Disasters!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

H2Andy:
the buses are going to be there anyway, rick, to get the people out

the pets are just hitching a ride

as for the care of pets, i would rather see them fed than starved to death
or drowned; certainly private donations can cover this, ala Red Cross

dead pets = carrion = disease = pollution = more costs to clean up

i am also thinking of those workers going in there with all the dead pets
contaminating the water. do they not deserve better?

so would you rather pay taxes to keep things clean or to have to clean up
the mess afterwards? i guarantee you, if you've ever had a refrigirator full
of food spoil on you, you know prevention is a LOT cheaper and much
more pleasant
When I'm asked to evac, I will do so, and I will take care of my own pets and not expect my neighbors to do it for me with their wallets - or I will be responsible enough not to have pets. And if my neighbors need help, I will try to be there for them - even for their pets.

I read that doctors had to leave sick patients to die, but I haven't seen any petitions to try to save these people.

ok, well, we certainly can disagree

i think it's a savings in tax dollars to allow the pets on buses rather than abbandoning
them and creating a whole new host of problems

H2Andy:
ok, well, we certainly can disagree

i think it's a savings in tax dollars to allow the pets on buses rather than abbandoning
them and creating a whole new host of problems
Sure. Let me just say that I am is favor of saving pets and preventing disease. I am just not in favor of expecting someone else to take care for my pets for me.

Andy if you didn't disagree with me sometimes, that would make me right all the time. :D

hehehe... ah... i think....

:wink:

If they were trying to take pets on rescue buses, you miss my point. If you are not responsible enough to get your tail out of an evacuation situation without a rescue bus, sorry, you are not responsible to have a pet.

Rather than waste our money regulating idiots, maybe we should be wasting our money regulating idots!! IOW's ban people who have no means of taking care of an animal from having them.

I don't mean to sound rude, but when wildfires threatened our area, EVERY pet we had was a accounted for EVEN if we were gone (assuming there was some reasonable amount of time to evacuate) including our Macaw, parrots, dog, cat, and hermit crab. The ONLY pets we could not evacuate was our fish.

It's the PET owners responsibility to have a means to handle their pets in the case of an emergancy. Maybe there are times when this is not easy, but it is certainly possible.

what if someone doesn't own a car?

what if someone can't drive?

do we just say, screw you and your pet, bud?

H2Andy:

the government does..

IMO if you are relying on the government to get you out of a bad situation, like a hurricane evacuation, than you really have no business owning a pet that also must be evacuated.

I'm SO sick of people in our country not being able to take care of themselves, and then they have pets, or worst children they can not take care of?

I get asked a dozen times a day for change from steet people. I have a LOT of sympathy for those people, but I don't have spare MONEY. Do You? What is worst is the homeless that use their pets as an excuse. I see it a lot, help feed my dog. IMO if you are not responsible enough to feed your DOG, don't HAVE a dog.

Rather than blaming government on our problems, maybe it's time to get out of our PC world. OR we can be ruthless about the whole process, and say screw all this, be responsible for the stuff that you choose to include in you life. :cheers:

H2Andy:

No, we say "screw your pet but you, Bud, and your neighbors can get on this bus."

Each person's pet is wonderful, sweet, well-behaved, and quiet. Sort of makes it challenging to figure our where all the aggressive, obnoxious, smelly ones come from. I've even heard pet owners claim THEIR animal doesn't shed antigens. I've heard this claim in my waiting room at the hospital when someone brought in a TIGER (I'm not kidding in the slightest). This was somewhat challenging to the panic patients and we ended up having to provide emergency treatment to a severe asthmatic with a cat allergy. "But he's so clean, nobody could be allergic to HIM..."

I understand the motivation and it's a noble one. I just cannot imagine any circumstances under which it would be appropriate in the real world.

Shelters are not pleasant places, people's are tense and irritable, proposing to place dogs that will be barking and yapping 24 hours a day into this mix isn't advisable. I've been in campgrounds with some of these little yappers, they never shut up. I don't know how their owners put up with them, other people should not have to put up with them.

Dog fights and dogs chasing cats could provide some entertainment for the evacuees but the crap, pee and fleas would outweigh the benefits.

I guess I’m a little surprised at the responses even though I understand where a few opinions are coming from.

Unfortunately, a lot of people didn’t have the means to get out of N.O. There are several that did and decided to stay.
Several lives would have been saved had people been allowed to take their beloved pets with them.

I’ve read in some of these posts…I’m an animal lover…BUT… there are no buts. I am an animal lover and if there is something that I can do to help them not have to suffer like they are in N.O. I will do it. Have you seen the pics of all these animals suffering? These are living, breathing, feeling and most of all loving creatures that are suffering horribly.
I don’t believe animals should suffer if their owners decided to stay due to lack of money, stupidity, or whatever else.

Most of these people had choices. The animals never had a choice. They were tied to porch railing, locked behind fences or locked in their homes.

There is no easy answer, but at least the thought process has started and hopefully there will be a plan of action if anything like this ever happens again.

I’m thankful that I have the means to get my family out of harms way, but the animals of the people that aren’t as fortunate as I am shouldn’t have to suffer. I am willing to pay a little more in taxes. Think about how many meals you eat out and how wasteful our society is. What a price to pay so animals wouldn’t have to endure this.

Dog is Mans best friend my @ss.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom