Lessons Don't go in a wreck, even an "easy" one

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I said I would have no problem, not that others may be okay doing it or should do it. The people I dive with would also have no problem doing it, hence my six trips to Chuuk Lagoon and wrecks from Solomon Islands to Scapa Flow.
Okay, that makes sense. It's just that it doesn't address the issues around the original post. This dive is normally done as a DM-led group dive with divers apparently of mixed skill levels. You probably would not have the opportunity to dive this wreck the way you have dived in the places you mentioned--with no one in the wreck except trained wreck divers--so whether you would have problem diving it is sort of moot. But I understand what you meant.

A couple suggestions for the future:

Assuming the planning to penetrate the wreck was done on the surface, you and your buddy should discuss hand signals as well as alternate plans. Before entering an overhead environment you signal to your buddy "penetration" (roll up your hand, as if around a pipe, to make a "hole," and with the index finger on your other hand, "penetrate" that hole). Get an ok before proceeding. Either way, you should always have a plan in advance - if there's no plan/communication then there's no penetration.

The other suggestion is that both buddies should always be aware of where the other one is (even if you just paired with them for the first time). That's true for you as well as the buddy. Neither of you have a redundant air supply, so you're each others lifeline. What that means is that you should have been aware that your buddy didn't enter, because you're entering (or not entering) together.

I can't add much else that hasn't already been said by others. Based on the video it looked like a pretty benign penetration, but we must always remember that everyone has different levels of risk tolerance, training and skill. The last thing you want to happen is an "oh ****" moment inside any enclosed environment. That's not the place to panic and it's not hard to get a panic attack if someone isn't used to the environment and gets caught up in something. Logic goes out the window instantly and that's when problems happen.

Sounds like a fun dive, otherwise! :)

My family did this dive a few years ago. My son and daughter were fresh ow. The op put a guide with them they did very little penetration mainly peek in and turn around and out as their level was more proven, they did a cross over. The instruction we were given (at this point interpretation) Me and my wife with guide in the lead (we had already been evaluated on other dives with him) would enter wreck at bow penetrate thru and exit at aft deck then we would circle around for cross section penetrations. Air was monitored and chkd throughout dive. Told to signal at 1800 psi, no entries to be made after 1st person reached 1000 psi. that signaled wind up of dive to make way up group up for safety stop. Directions were clear and procedures were followed (many more than discussed) This was one of our wreck dive sign offs. I do agree this has gone off in the never do this without training direction however I agree this is more a lack of communication lost your buddy / buddy bailed situation. Learn and solve those issues. Glad it was a good outcome to learn from.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom