Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

When I taught DP dives were to 50, 100, 100, 110, 115, and 125. The deepest part of the quarry was 130 and water temps were 38 - 40 at the bottom. No need to go to 150 anyway. Set the dives up for proper run times and decompression. Decompression Procedures courses often get too hung up on depth. The objective is to have the skills and build up to max depth over time.

Jim,

As far as I'm aware, all AN/DP courses here end on a ~150-ish foot wreck. That's why we train, that's the destination. You can do 130ft wrecks every day here, but can't go beyond without tech certs. There's always a location bias to training and why people should take the appropriate courses for where they ultimately want to dive.

These kinds of depths are much different up north than they are here, I assume. We aren't dealing with "freezing temps" and near zero vis conditions. It's very possible 150ft where you train is a whole different skill with potentially nothing to see. I don't know... I've only dived in the Caribbean and Bermuda prior to being certified and Florida after being certified.

Speaking of differences... went to the Hydro yesterday. I'm sure @Marie13 will appreciate the temps at 165ft.... :) :)

1661203891353.png

@boriss thanks for the write up. I think it’s not common to manipulate two stages for ANDP.

@boriss thanks for the write up. I think it’s not common to manipulate two stages for ANDP.
Well, one was a deco bottle, not a stage.
I didn't get two bottles in my TDI training until Extended Range and Trimix...both being deco bottles.
Then three bottles in Adv Trimix, one being a travel gas.
I didn't get stages until NSS-CDS Stage-Sidemount for caves.

Well, one was a deco bottle, not a stage.
I didn't get two bottles in my TDI training until Extended Range and Trimix...both being deco bottles.
Then three bottles in Adv Trimix, one being a travel gas.
I didn't get stages until NSS-CDS Stage-Sidemount for caves.
Sorry, I meant to say deco bottles.

For some reason, many people use the word stage for both where I am.

The United States and Great Britain are two countries separated by a common language.
-- George Bernard Shaw​

Not common, I asked for it during training, as we were progressing quickly and had the time for it. We went over differences in bottle handling for BM/SM/CCR, etc. I carried dual AL72s as well and had to move them around based on mix, etc. All good extra credit stuff! :)

I took this course as a pre-req for CCR training. We definitely went beyond the minimum for the course, given the trajectory.

Just made an interesting observation that I wanted to share with others.

There was some talk recently about SAC (RMV) rates as well as this thread: Average Gas Consumption made me want to analyze my SAC prior to and post becoming a technical diver. I've had significant improvement and I'm hoping sharing this will potentially help others.

Keep in mind, I'm a pretty big dude... 6'2" >200lbs, muscular/athletic build (used to be a competitive athlete).

When I started AN/DP my RMV was around 0.8cf/min and that's what I planned around. Looking at my historic logs the rate was all over the place. After completing a dozen technical dives, I reviewed my dives and my current RMV is in the 0.55cf/min range for a typical technical dive (lowest so far was 0.45cf/min). So what's changed?

Here's what helped me:
  1. Planning (instead of winging) the dives means I need to understand my gas consumption, which in-turn leads to being more conscious of its usage
  2. Streamlining all the gear
  3. Improving kick efficiency (will be getting stiffer fins to improve even further)
  4. Relaxing/being more patient. I now visualize what I'll do prior to doing it (part of planning). To use an automotive analogy, I now look 20-seconds down the road instead of what's right in front of me
  5. Related to above, don't make ancillary/wasteful moves, there's plenty of time, we have a plan, slow down!
  6. Related to above, anticipate buoyancy changes and time breathing to the changes, when appropriate
  7. Learning to control anxiety/fear (fight or flight response). It's too easy to burn through gas if you snag on a line or get "stuck" in an opening, are face-to-face with a goliath grouper or barracuda, etc. These days I'm cool as a cucumber when these events happen; I'm training my brain that even if **** does hit the fan, panicking doesn't solve the problem
  8. Use the ship to push/pull myself when appropriate (especially if there's current!)
  9. I noticed I use a lot of gas during the descent, so I've been relaxing more and donning my gear a little in advance, letting my heart settle before jumping (before I'd just don and go)

One thing I don't do is hold my breath. My goal is to enjoy the dive and optimize everything, not to win a SAC/RMV competition. Optimizations have lead to the aforementioned improvements, however.

Completely unrelated picture, but here's some rust from today's wreck dive... love it :)
1666554144776.png

EDIT: Added #9

Sorry, I meant to say deco bottles.

I hear more OW Tech/wreck divers using stage for all bottles that aren't your back gas. While in the cave community it is separated due to the planning considerations that comes with range extending stages vs deco bottles.

Thanks for the write up Boriss.

The information has been most enlightening. Especially thanks for the Jimmy/James interview. I had completely forgotten that interview. I will be doing the Intro to Tech class, before taking AN/DP and AW, just to fine-tune my doubles setup and introduce myself to the instructor, since I will more than likely take all those classes in South FLA./Keys, and I am currently residing in Oklahoma City.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom