Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Irrelevant to the OP. He never said it was DIR training or DIR diving. But you can pour all the kool-aid you want over his TDI class. :(
Except he said that Jimmy taught DIR. Honestly without that I wouldn't have batted an eye at deep air as "Not my circus, not my monkeys."

Except he said that Jimmy taught DIR. Honestly without that I wouldn't have batted an eye at deep air as "Not my circus, not my monkeys."
It was a TDI class, not a DIR class.

It was a TDI class, not a DIR class.

IME DIR instructors won't make the differentiation. They teach the same class regardless of certification agency.

Can't do it. Two of the dives must be below 100 ft, and helium is not allowed.

There is a big difference between bending the END recommendation by going to 120-130 feet, and totally smashing through it to go to 160ft.

Though helitrox can replace DP, which allows 21/35.

There is a big difference between bending the END recommendation by going to 120-130 feet, and totally smashing through it to go to 160ft.

Though helitrox can replace DP, which allows 21/35.
He should not have gone to 160; the class has a 150 limit.
Helitrox? Yes, but that was not the class he was taking.

I'm interested to see that you are OK with bending the rules.

The OP didn't give us a direct quote, so we really don't know exactly what words Jimmy used. As we know, there are instructors who follow a lot of DIR principles but not all, and maybe that's all Jimmy was getting at when he said whatever he said.

I'm interested to see that you are OK with bending the rules.

As a sidemount cave diver I am hardly be considered a strict DIR adherent.

But I think most would give 120-130ft a pass if it was required to get the needed deco ceilings for a class in OW without a physical overhead.

The OP didn't give us a direct quote, so we really don't know exactly what words Jimmy used. As we know, there are instructors who follow a lot of DIR principles but not all, and maybe that's all Jimmy was getting at when he said whatever he said.

Certainly agree, hard to know without a direct quote. Though I think avoiding deep air would be a core DIR principle. You can disagree about the exact END limit or even using standard gases. But there has to be some limit at which you introduce helium, with the limit being much shallower than 160ft.

DIR is a philosophy and GUE/UTD (and others) are agencies which use that philosophy as a basis for their teachings. Even they don't agree on everything and keep updating their standards as they learn.

Please take this holy debate to another thread more suited for it. Go question Jimmy on whether he's a devout Orthodox. The reference was to gear configuration and entanglements, etc. This wasn't a GUE class, it was TDI.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom