Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Find me a DIR agency that recommends a max END over 100ft.
You are confusing agency recommendations with an equipment methodology.
DIR is much older than worries about air below 100 ft.

You are confusing agency recommendations with an equipment methodology.
DIR is much older than worries about air below 100 ft.

Around here DIR means that whole philosophy which includes the max END recommendation. Not just that you use DIR compliant gear. So when someone says that someone "teaches DIR" I would read it as following all the the philosophy not just use the equipment. And I am told that the max END recommendations came out of the WKPP in the early 90s, and were incorporated into DIR then.

Around here DIR means that whole philosophy which includes the max END recommendation. Not just that you use DIR compliant gear. So when someone says that someone "teaches DIR" I would read it as following all the the philosophy not just use the equipment. And I am told that the max END recommendations came out of the WKPP in the early 90s, and were incorporated into DIR then.
The term has evolved in the last approx 30 years. It did not start with all the trappings it has today. Even today, you'll find that ScubaBoard distinguishes between DIR and GUE, the latter being (in their own words) more than just DIR. Even the agencies that claim to be DIR-based vary in their recommendations. Yes, I agree, END of 100 ft is definitely recommended by those agencies. But that is part of the three-decades of evolution.
Mostly I'm objecting to your saying the instructor was "using a Hog config instead of teaching DIR" when the OP only mentioned the instructor teaches DIR. (He didn't say what flavor....) Hog is a brand name, I guess you meant Hogathian. And the OP didn't say his class was DIR, only that the instructor taught DIR. The class was TDI (AN/DP), which is perfectly happy with air to 180 ft.

Somewhere in the 130-150ft range. Goal was always to deploy from the deck of the wreck so that the boat could follow our SMBs, see that all of them are deployed and so on. The best part is that the DM got all of our runtimes as well as when we'd hit our 20ft deco stop and came in to check on us while we were doing our deco.

Just confirmed with my instructor deployment from 45m depth as well. Been such a long time since I have done any deeper than 10m depth deployments of my dsmb. I will practice some deeper ones from 30m or deeper on some of my vacation dives.

PS I am using my cressi SPG console as my backup timer and depth gauge to my Perdix I find it really easy to see on dives.
Range in top right corner means time left to 50 bar / 750 psi from any point on the dive. Some dives the cressi will be used as primary device with slate and perdix as backup.

Attachments

• CRESSI  CONSOLE.jpg
    CRESSI CONSOLE.jpg
    64.6 KB · Views: 65
Congratulations! Now that you are certified, Id love to meet up with you for some non-training tech dives? I would love to dive Lady Luck.

I would recommend you just ignore him. You’ll be happier in the long term

DIR. The first word is Doing.

If you’re doing air to 160’ it’s not DIR.
Irrelevant to the OP. He never said it was DIR training or DIR diving. But you can pour all the kool-aid you want over his TDI class. :(

http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom